MICROWAVE TRICKS

MICROWAVE TRICKS

It cooks, reheats and defrosts. And, with a little know how, you can
do even more with your microwave oven. Read on:

EXTEND THE SHELF LIFE OF MILK FOR 10 DAYS. Before the expiration
date (and if it’s not spoiled), microwave milk — in its carton or
microproof container — on High until the temperature reaches 160
degrees on an instant-read thermometer (1 cup of milk takes about 1
1/2 minutes). Don’t let the milk boil. Refrigerate immediately.

SOFTEN BROWN SUGAR. Microwave package of brown sugar on High for 15-30 seconds or until soft. Don’t let sugar liquiefy.

FRESHEN SOGGY PEANUTS. Spread in a microproof baking dish.
Microwave, uncovered, on High for 3 minutes per cup or until hot,
stirring once; let cool.

ROAST GARLIC. Place a whole unpeeled bulb on a paper towel.
Microwave on High for 1 minute; turn bulb upside-down, then microwave
a ninute more. Squeeze cloves; softened garlic will pop out.

RIPEN AN AVOCADO. Microwave avocado on Medium (50%) for 2 minutes. Turn over, microwave 1 minute more.

DRY FRESH HERBS, GRATED LEMON OR ORANGE PEEL. Wash herbs, then blot dry. Spread herbs or peels on a paper towel. Microwave on High for
1-2 minutes or until dried, stirring every 30 seconds. Cool; store
in a tightly covered container.

BRING EGG WHITES TO ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE BEATING FOR GREATER VOLUME. Place 1 to 4 egg whites in a microproof bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on Low (10%) for 15-30 seconds per egg white, stirring every 15 seconds, until chill is off.

COOK SPAGHETTI OR SMALL PASTA: Place 4 cups hot water and 2 cups dry pasta (7-8 ounces) in a microproof, 2-quart casserole. Microwave,
uncovered, on High for 14 minutes or until tender; drain. Serve.

MAKE A PIE CRUST: Blend 1/4 cup margarine, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1
1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs in a microproof, 9-inch pie plate.
Microwave, uncovered, on High for 2 minutes. Stir crumbs, then press
evenly onto sides and bottom of pie plate. Microwave on High 2
minutes more, rotating once. Cool before adding filling.

All of these tips were tested in a high wattage oven.

Hey B-man ,

Semper fi BACK AT YA, from Navy Corpsman…hey medic…

Any ideas in how to get a dry crust on frozen packaged goodS w mic??

thanks for the tips b-man. The microwave is an amazing piece of technology LOL

Thanks for the tips! Now, what is the best way to clean a microwave after one of your coworkers has boiled a container of chili so that it spattered all over the inside, and then let it sit over the weekend until it got dried and hard?

I would suggest having the coworker who made the mess and didn’t clean it right away have the task of cleaning it.

At one workplace where I worked I finally put up the well known sign in the break room reading:

“YOUR MOTHER DOESN’T WORK HERE, CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF”.

After awhile people finally caught on.

If you like microwaves then heres an interesting read: Mythbuster | The Ideas Kitchen
do not fear the microwave, embrace it :slight_smile:

Hi All!

Liked your new Blog Kitchen Witch!

On the subject of the microwave, I’m becoming more and more adventurous with mine… I successfully made this recipe: My chocolate tart recipe | The Ideas Kitchen

I tried to take a picture of it, but I think the definition was too high to post here… and by the time i was ready to take a lower definition shot… it was all eaten!!

I love the brown sugar tip. I have that problem a lot (the brown sugar getting hard). Thanks!

We had the same sign, thanks for the reminder.

just 20 seconds in the microwave softens ice cream/frozen yougurt etc for easier scooping

How to boil an egg in microwave

If you just place an egg, covered by water, in the microwave, the microwaves will heat up the inside of the sealed egg causing it to explode.

You can safely boil the egg in the microwave if it’s wrapped in aluminum foil and placed underwater. This will prevent the microwaves from getting inside the egg and they will only heat up the water. Wrap the sealed egg tightly in aluminum foil. Make sure none of the egg shows and all air bubbles are smoothed out of the foil so it won’t float. I did this by rolling the egg in a piece of foil and twisting the two ends like a piece of wrapped candy. Place the foiled egg totally underwater in a Pyrex glass measuring cup. I used a 2-cup Pyrex glass measuring cup and covered the foiled egg using about 1 cup of tap water. It took 2 1/2 minutes to come to a boil and I turned off the microwave after 3 1/2 minutes (the egg needs 1 minute of full boiling). I then let the egg sit in the hot water for 15 minutes. You should then have a perfectly soft boiled egg. For a hard boiled egg, leave the egg in the hot water 20 to 25 minutes. The foil seems to slow down the cooking process. Usually on the stove top, when you boil an egg for 1 minute and let it sit for 15 minutes in the hot water, it is hard boiled.

I started out with cold tap water and a cold egg from the fridge.

I can boil an egg stovetop much quicker, so why bother with the microwave?

Microwave is helped us to refresh our meals, hot the meals in seconds. Also some microwave allow you to do baking and preparing some dishes…