Mile-High Shredded Beef Sandwiches
Battle Creek, MI
Makes 8 servings
(Ideal slow cooker size: 4-quart)
3 lb. chuck roast, or round steak, trimmed of fat
2 Tbsp. oil
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 cups lower-sodium, 98%-fat-free beef broth
1 garlic clove
3/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. chili powder
3 drops Tabasco sauce
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- In skillet brown both sides of meat in oil. Add onions and celery and sautÃ© briefly. Transfer to slow cooker. Add broth.
- Cover. Cook on Low 6-8 hours, or until tender. Remove meat from cooker and cool. Shred beef.
- Remove vegetables from cooker and drain, reserving 11/2 cups broth. Combine vegetables and meat.
- Return shredded meat and vegetables to cooker. Add broth and remaining ingredients and combine well.
- Cover. Cook on High 1 hour. Remove bay leaf.
- Pile into 8 sandwich rolls and serve.
Exchange List Values: Carbohydrate 1.0, Meat, lean 3.0
Basic Nutritional Values: Calories 239 (Calories from Fat 88), Total Fat 10 gm (Saturated Fat 2.4 gm, Polyunsat Fat 1.3 gm, Monounsat Fat 4.6 gm, Cholesterol 73 mg), Sodium 444 mg, Total Carbohydrate 12 gm, Dietary Fiber 1 gm, Sugars 8 gm, Protein 25 gm
Reprinted from Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook: Slow Cooker Favorites – to include Everyone! (January 2005; $15.95US; 1-56148-459-8) Copyright by Good Books (www.goodbks.com). Used by permission. All rights reserved.