1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 - 9 inch pie shell

Topping ingredients
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers (25)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted

Instructions
In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine the water, sugar and cream of tartar; bring to boil.
Stir slowly once or twice to keep crackers from sticking to bottom of saucepan.
Drop in whole crackers and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour mixture into pie shell, then sprinkle with cinnamon and lemon juice.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F

TOPPING ….
:smiley: Mix together the crushed crackers, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter; sprinkle over pie filling.

Bake @425 for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 375 degrees. Continue to bake for 15 to 18 minutes longer.

That’s so funny, I made this a few weeks ago mostly because I was convinced there was no way crackers could taste like apples. Boy, was I wrong. It’s the strangest thing I’ve ever seen and yet, you’re right it’s easy and you always have the ingredients on hand. I made it with walmart brand crackers (just like ritz but only $1 box) and it was so cost effective. It’s quite a bit sweeter than I normally like my apple pie to be, but I think it’s the sugar that makes it taste real. Served warm with ice cream, drizzled with caramel sauce and a little whipped cream, yummy! I saw it in Kraft Magazine and have loved every recipe I’ve tried from there.

[b]This recipe has been around for years. I, too, was quite amazed at how much like apple pie it tasted.

We were just talking about this pie last week and I bought a box of Ritz crackers to try it out again.[/b]

Using half apple juice instead of all water and cut the sugar in half it is very good.

I live in Australia.

Could you please tell me what are ritz crackers…

Are they a water cracker.:?: Could you describe them for me :?:

I would love to try this recipe.

Thank you all for your wonderful recipes, Regards Vicki.

For Vicki from Austraila, About Mock Apple Pie…

Here is website for Ritz…Delicious Appetizer, Dessert & Snack Recipes | Snackwork US

:stuck_out_tongue: MY MOTHER ALWAYS MADE THIS FOR THE HOLIDAY’S…WE ALL
LOVED IT SO MUCH SHE HAD TO MAKE SEVERAL…ONE OF MY VERY
BEST MEMORIES :lol:

I made this recently from the recipe posted here, and my husband loved it! And HE is finicky. I didn’t tell him there were no apples in this and crackers as the filler. The topping was DELICIOUS, I think I’ll double the topping next time, but very good and tasty. A couple of friends also tried this and loved it. SO SIMPLE, it will be made many more times…no peeling apples!!! :smiley: