Monkey Bread Muffins

Monkey Bread Muffins

1 12-ounce can biscuits (10 in a can)
3 Tbs. maple syrup
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tb. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 F. Place cupcake liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.
With kitchen shears, cut each biscuit into 4 pieces; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup and melted butter.

In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon and pecans.

Dip each biscuit piece into the maple butter mixture, then roll in the sugar mixture. Place 3 or 4 coated pieces in each muffin cup, pressing down to compact.

Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Serve warm.

SERVES 12

Sounds easy enough. Any preference on biscuits?

Are there any canned biscuits that don’t taste like the metal ends of the can or like too much baking powder?

can’t thank you enough as I have searched for a similar recipe for umteen years. The one I was searching for joined all of the pieces as you describe butset side by side to fill a cake pan. It was an original recipe for brides.

The companies are more interested in shelf life than taste, that’s probably why there was so much salt in it.

I always make homemade biscuits. Sometimes with cooking oil, sometimes using yogurt. I just hate handling solid shortening (Crisco) and trying to clean up afterwards, especially trying to degrease plastic utinsils.

I made cinnamon rolls and dinner rolls over Thanksgiving weekend, and was left with a medium-sized bowl of extra dough. I don’t know how it happened, but it did.

I was also left with another kind of roll—the kind that makes low-rise jeans a problem. But that’s outside the scope of this post.

I didn’t want to roll out cinnamon rolls again—I mean, how many thousands of cinnamon rolls can one woman make in a 48-hour period? And then I remembered Pastor Ryan’s Monkey Bread, which I’d made the day before, and which was so utterly delicious we all cried. Right there in the kitchen.

I grabbed a muffin tin and wound up making sort of a modified muffin version of monkey bread—and everyone loved them. It was a great way to use up extra dough from Thanksgiving or Christmas…and you could easily substitute frozen bread dough or canned biscuits, depending on what you have handy.

So, KW, is there a homemade crescent roll recipe that you use?