My Favorite Stuffing Bread Recipe

Got this from a Public Broadcasting TV show years ago. It is really good, as it says, for turkey sandwiches. (Really great for chicken and roast pork sammies too :wink: ).

Whole Wheat Stuffing Bread

This is the ideal bread for turkey sandwiches the day after a holiday meal. The bread tastes like stuffing!

This was one of my first attempts at herb bread without a net (i.e., with no recipe). I’m happy with the results.

2 packages Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast

1 cup warm water

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2-1/2 to 3 cups Hodgson Mill Best for Bread Flour, divided

1 cup milk

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 tablespoon dried sage

2 teaspoons dried thyme

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Graham Flour

Combine yeast, warm water, brown sugar and 1/2 cup of the bread flour in a bowl; stir to dissolve yeast. Let stand 10 minutes until foamy.

Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion; cook over medium heat and stir until translucent but not browned. Remove from heat. Stir in sage and thyme. Let cool to lukewarm.

Heat milk in a saucepan until lukewarm. Combine milk, onion mixture and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in yeast mixture.

Add the whole wheat flour; mix thoroughly. Let rest 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of the bread flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Add enough of the remaining bread flour, 1/4 cup at a time, to make a fairly stiff dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 6 to 8 minutes, or until the dough is smooth, shiny and slightly sticky.

Lightly oil the surface of the dough; place in the rinsed mixing bowl. Cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place about 1 hour, or until doubled.

Punch down dough. Knead about 1 minute. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Form each piece into a loaf and place in greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Or shape free-form or round loaves and place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise 30 to 45 minutes, or until nearly doubled. If making free-form or round loaves, cut diagonal slashes in the tops with a sharp knife.

While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake loaves 45 minutes, or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.

Yield: 2 loaves

Original Author’s Note: Be sure your whole wheat flour is fresh. Whole wheat flour can go rancid faster than white flour, and that has a seriously negative effect on the flavor of the bread.

Also, a tablespoon of wheat gluten added before the flour goes in will make a lighter, softer loaf.