1 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsps. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. shortening
2 c. granulated sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c. molasses
1/2 c. coarse sugar or granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 350. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening until softened. Gradually add the 2 cups granulated sugar. Beat til fluffy. Add eggs and molasses; beat well. Add half of flour mixture, beat til combined. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
Using a 1/4 c. ice cream scoop, drop dough onto waxed paper. Shape into balls. Pur the 1/2 c. coarse sugar in a shallow bowl and roll the balls in the sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2-1/2 inches apart; using a glass or cup, press cookies to about 1/2" thickness. Bake in 350 oven 12-14 min. or until cookies are light brown and puffed.
Do not overbake or cookies will not be chewy. Let stand 2 min. before transferring o a wire rack to cool.

Hi, folks~ I’m Top, a newbie and this is my 5 grandsons’ favorite cookie recipe in the world. I started making them in the fall when they were little, and now as grown men they think fall cannot come or go without at least one batch EACH of Giant Ginger Cookies. Enjoy :slight_smile:

Thank you for this recipe! My daughter had just requested some chewy ginger cookies, and I was looking at different recipes. I just bought a jar of molasses a few days ago and it is sitting on my kitchen counter to remind me to bake the cookies. Thanks again!

I baked these cookies over the weekend, and they were a big hit! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

I would be very grateful to hear what your go-to chocolate cake recipe is. I like all styles of chocolate cake.