Need help with a flatbread recipe

I’m looking for a flatbread recipe for making gyros sandwiches. I find that the pita bread recipes are not soft enough . . . the recipe I’m looking for is pretty much halfway between a pita bread and a pancake. It’s more “pillowy” than pita bread. Anybody familiar with this? Thanx, DG

Thanks you guys . . . I’ll try a few and see how close they are to one I had. DG

Hi KW …
The flatbread I had was 6" round . . . perfectly round which probably means they’re commercially made? They’re about 3/16" thick and resemble a pancake … . and they’re barely browned on each side, very smooth on both sides. In the Detroit area we have the greek Seros restaurant chain that serves what I think is the perfect wrap for gyros . . . also Arby’s and National Coney Island chains have a similar version. The naan recipes look like they’re the closest, just more irregular in shape. I’m guessing from the softness that there might be some egg product involved? Once I try them, I will post the one I think works the best. Thanxx, DG

THANKS for the update.

I tried one last night, but couldn’t even get the dough to stick together. I had to add water.

And . . . the naan didn’t come out right at all. :frowning:

I would love to see your recipe and how it turns out.

Where can you get the recipe for flat breads that seasons 52 restaurant serves?:stuck_out_tongue:

After trying a few different recipes, this one seems to be the closest to the one I had. It’s a recipe from the site that silversolara references above. Instead of doing them on the grill, I baked them on a pizza stone on parchment paper . . .

Naan
14 servings

PREP TIME 30 Min
COOK TIME 7 Min
READY IN 3 Hrs

INGREDIENTS
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.