Need help with a flatbread recipe

I’m looking for a flatbread recipe for making gyros sandwiches. I find that the pita bread recipes are not soft enough . . . the recipe I’m looking for is pretty much halfway between a pita bread and a pancake. It’s more “pillowy” than pita bread. Anybody familiar with this? Thanx, DG

DessertGuy - I’ve got a couple if you would like to try them:

Naan Bread Recipe

1lb white flour
1oz dried yeast
1 tsp nigella seed (also known in Indian stores as charnushka or kanolfi seed)
6 tbsp plain yogurt
2 tbsp ghee or melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup warm water
oil or ghee to coat

1. Dissolve sugar in warm water.
  2. Add yeast. Yeast should froth, if it doesn’t, start over with fresh yeast.
  3. In a seperate bowl, sift salt with flour and add nigella seeds.
  4. Make a well in the centre and add yoghurt, ghee and yeast mixture.
  5. Knead well until it forms a dough. Shape into a ball. If dough is sticky, add more flour until elastic.
  6. Coat a seperate bowl with oil or ghee and roll dough into it until fully coated.
  7. Shake off excess oil and cover with damp tea-towel or cloth.
  8. After 2 or 3 hours, dough should have doubled in size. This happens best in a warm area.
  9. Knead the dough and divide into around 6 equal portions. Flatten and mould into typical ‘pear’ shape naan.
  10. Preheat oven to 450oF/230oC and bake for 10 mins. Brush with ghee or butter and serve.

Naan is traditionally baked in a stone oven where it is slapped onto the sides to cook. Obviously, traditional kitchens don’t have these, so do the best you can at home!

I don’t know if you need this or not:
GHEE:

Ingredients:
Pure unsalted Butter (not margarine)

Procedure:
Heat butter in a saucepan in high-medium heat until it boils or bubbles.
Reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered until butter turns to a clear golden color. (Butter usually begins to boils with lots of bubbles. When it is done, it will have foams on top of it indicating that ghee is nearly done.)
Cool it and store it in dry container. Use ghee in you regular cooking.
Ghee is properly done when water is completely evaporated from butter. To find out if water is properly evaporated follow the following procedure. Pour heated butter into small piece of paper. Light the paper on fire. If it gives crackling noise, it is indicating the presence of water. Heat butter for some more time. With experience one can tell if ghee is done with the smell and color.
Ghee does not have to be refrigerated.
For long lasting ghee, keep it out of moisture, i.e., don’t use a wet spoon to take out ghee.

Naan Bread

1 teaspoon dried active yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup warm water, about 110 degrees F
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more as needed while kneading
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup clarified butter or vegetable oil, plus 1 teaspoon

In a glass-measuring cup, combine the yeast and sugar. Add the water and stir well. Let rest until foamy, about 5 minutes. Sift together the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the yeast mixture and oil into the center. Mix together with your fingers until a smooth dough forms, working in a small amount of additional flour as needed. Knead for 3 minutes.
Oil a small bowl with the remaining butter or oil. Place the dough into the bowl, turning to coat, and let rest until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Divide the dough into 6 pieces and gently roll into 6 circles on a lightly floured surface. Bake on a baking stone, or a lightly greased baking sheet, until just golden brown and puffed, about 12 minutes.
Serve immediately.

To clarify butter, first melt unsalted butter slowly in a pan. Simmer over low heat, without stirring, until the milk solids have separated and sink to the bottom. Other impurities will rise to the surface, while the butterfat in the middle layer becomes very clear. Remove the pan from the heat and skim off the foam with a spoon. Then carefully ladle the clarified butterfat into a separate container. Be careful to leave the solids behind. One pound of butter will yield approximately 12 ounces of clarified butter.

Thanks you guys . . . I’ll try a few and see how close they are to one I had. DG

Please let me know - I have more. Even though you described what you are looking for - it’s hard to really find the recipe requested - it’s all in how each one of us interpret things.

Hi KW …
The flatbread I had was 6" round . . . perfectly round which probably means they’re commercially made? They’re about 3/16" thick and resemble a pancake … . and they’re barely browned on each side, very smooth on both sides. In the Detroit area we have the greek Seros restaurant chain that serves what I think is the perfect wrap for gyros . . . also Arby’s and National Coney Island chains have a similar version. The naan recipes look like they’re the closest, just more irregular in shape. I’m guessing from the softness that there might be some egg product involved? Once I try them, I will post the one I think works the best. Thanxx, DG

THANKS for the update.

I tried one last night, but couldn’t even get the dough to stick together. I had to add water.

And . . . the naan didn’t come out right at all. :frowning:

I would love to see your recipe and how it turns out.

DessertGuy -

Are you baking your pita breads? Here is a recipe for them - baked or fried. Maybe frying would give you the result you are looking for???

There is a good chance that the “perfectly round” ones are commercially pressed.

Pita Bread Recipe

• 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup pastry flour
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
  • 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon applesauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
  • olive oil

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water.

Combine the all-purpose flour, pastry flour and salt in a bowl. Stir in the yeast mixture and the applesauce and knead. If too sticky add 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour until you get the right consistency.

If too dry, add 1 tablespoons of water at a time until you get the right consistency.

Roll out into a rope and cut into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and roll out until it’s anywhere from a 6 to 8 inch circle.

There are two ways to cook pita bread. The flavor is a bit different with both.

Baked Pita:
Preheat oven to 500° and put a pita on a wire cake rack. Toss in the rack and cook for 3 minutes or until the bread stops puffing up. When you take it out, smash down the pita (Careful, its hot!) and quickly put it in a plastic freezer bag.

Fried Pita:
Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat. When almost smoking, place a pita in the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side, till brown spots begin to appear. It should look be flat and look something like a tortilla when you’re done. Put in a plastic bag once it has cooled a bit.

I am quite sure you can fry any of the pita recipes you have.

Here is another:

Fried Flat Bread

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup hot water
7 tablespoons vegetable oil
Honey

Mix flour and salt in processor. Add 1 cup hot water and 4 tablespoons oil; blend until ball forms. Remove dough from processor. Using oiled hands, divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece on lightly floured surface into 9-inch round about 1/4 inch thick. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium (10-inch-diameter) nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 dough round to skillet; reduce heat to medium-low and cook until golden on bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn bread over; cook until golden on bottom and bread is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer bread to plate. Tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil and dough. Break warm bread into pieces, drizzle with honey, and serve.

Makes three 9-inch rounds.

Where can you get the recipe for flat breads that seasons 52 restaurant serves?:stuck_out_tongue:

After trying a few different recipes, this one seems to be the closest to the one I had. It’s a recipe from the site that silversolara references above. Instead of doing them on the grill, I baked them on a pizza stone on parchment paper . . .

Naan
14 servings

PREP TIME 30 Min
COOK TIME 7 Min
READY IN 3 Hrs

INGREDIENTS
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.