Need help with recipe

My dad used to go to a resturant that had his favorite pie. Something like a pecan praline pie. Well, they don’t make the pie any more, but a friend married into the family and got me the recipe. The recipe is for making 8 pies, but the problem is I don’t understand the recipe and the person who wrote it has since passed away so I need help making sense of it…I just want one little pie for my dad! :slight_smile:

Take 8 9 by 3/4 shells out of the greezer to defrost slightly. Trim on side and punch holes in bottom and sides of crust. Holes must be punched on sides and bottom of pie crust so it does not rise up during cooking. Bake until golden brown.

BOTTOM
1 and 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 c sugar
1/2 cup water
1 c dark Karo syrup
1 1/2 c half and half
1 c drawn butter

Cook to 232 degrees (hope you have a thermometer)

Add six cups of uncooked pecans

Pour into pie shells

TO COOK MILK
Use 24 cans Eagle Brand Milk. Take paper tops off of cans and put into large pit cover with water and lit. Cook on low for six hours.

TOPPING
7 cans Eagle Brand Milk, in large mixer, whip for 20 minutes
4 - 5 Tbs Gelatin
Fill pie line 3/4 full cold water
Sprinkle Gelatin on top until it will not absorb any more.
2 cans whipped topping, beat until it starts to peak
Add Gelatin and whipped topping to milk in another mixer

Put in 10 in metal pie pans and cut into 6 pieces.

You have to start by dividing each of the ingredients by 8 and proceed from there.

Here’s my take on the recipe:

Pecan Praline Pie

– For Only One Pie –

PASTRY PIE SHELL (the recipe doesn’t give ingredients or instructions to make the pie pastry).

Take one 9-inch wide by 3/4-inch deep, uncooked, pastry pie shell in a pie pan and poke holes in the pastry all over with a dinner fork.
You must poke holes in the bottom and sides of the pastry so it won’t rise during cooking.

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Bake empty pie shell for 12 to 15 minutes until pastry is a light golden brown.
Remove from oven. Set baked pie shell aside until needed.

– For Only One Pie –

BOTTOM Filling
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon water
2 Tablespoons dark Karo syrup
3 Tablespoons half and half
2 Tablespoons drawn butter

3/4 cup of uncooked pecans

Combine filling ingredients (except pecans) in a heavy bottom saucepan and
bring to a simmer over medium heat, and stir only until ingredients are melted.
Cook until a candy thermometer reads 232 degrees F.
Remove from heat and stir 3/4 cup of uncooked pecans into the above mixture, mix well.
Pour into pre-baked pie shell.

Set aside until needed. Allow to cool before adding whipped topping from below.

– For Only One Pie –
TOPPING

It appears that the recipe uses Eagle Brand sweetened condensed Milk simmered in the can to make a caramel,
(similar to the pourable caramel used as an ice cream topping).
The cooled caramel is whipped in a mixer for 20 minutes.

In another mixer, heavy cream is whipped along with dissolved gelatin to prepare a whipped cream topping.

The whipped cream topping/gelatin is then added to the whipped caramel topping in the first mixer.

This combined topping is then spread over the prepared pecan pie.

Ingredients

1 (14 oz) can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (cooked into caramel from recipe below) or use a jar of ice cream caramel topping
1 Tbsp Knox unflavored gelatin
3 Tbsp cold water
8 oz heavy whipping cream

Instructions

TO COOK MILK (to make an caramel for use in the topping - like the caramel used for an ice cream topping).
Use 1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. Take paper label off of can and put unopened can into large pot, cover can with water and lid.
Cook on low for six hours. Don’t allow the can boil dry or it can explode. Allow can to cool to room temperature before opening. This cooks the sugar in the sweetened condensed milk to make a South American carmel called “dulce de leche” .
You could substitute caramel ice cream topping from a jar. For more info look up “dulce de leche” on Google.

I have made the same caramel by cooking a sealed can of sweetened condensed milk (with the paper label removed so it won’t clog the steam vents) in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes, on high pressure. Allow can of milk to cool to room temperature before opening. It turns the sweetened condensed milk into a caramel similar to what is used as an ice cream topping.

To assemble topping:

Add 1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed Milk (cooked into caramel from above), to stand mixer, whip for 20 minutes.

In a cup, mix 1 tablespoon Knox unflavored gelatin with 3 tablespoons of cold water. Allow gelatin to dissolve in the water for 5 minutes.

In another large mixing bowl, whip cream until peaks form. Add the dissolved gelatin. Mix well.

Mix the whipped cream / gelatin into the whipped caramel in the first mixing bowl. Mix well.

Spread caramel/whipped cream topping over the prepared pecan pie and cut into 6 pieces.

Antelope thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed. I just did not understand what it was telling me to do!! Now I’ve got it and we’ll see what I can do! Thanks again!!

Hi Janne101, I know that this post is over a month and a half old and so I hope you will read this. What is the name of the restaurant that this recipe originally came from? I want to try the recipe. If I like it, I want to file it away with the Restaurants name attributed to the original recipe and the broken down one for one pie. I always like keeping track of the sources. Thank you for the original and Thank you, Antilope for the break down.:slight_smile:

That sounds so good!!