Need inexpensive diet and exercise ideas

Hi. I just joined and wondered if anyone here has any advice for me. I’m on a limited income because my husband is the only breadwinner right now. I can’t work for awhile because I have MS, so I’m basically at home all the time. I have a treadmill and old exercise bike and just purchased what they call a swiss ball. I do know for a fact, not just because I watch carbs, but from experience that I need more protein than anything else to get me through the day. As far as the MS goes, the doctors around here aren’t very helpful and I’m searching for any that know much about MS to help me in all ways. I really feel I’m limited about exercising not just because of my illness but also because I live in an upstairs apartment, above grouchy people who are well known for complaining about everything, such as my husband walking too hard/loud on the floor (which is hard for him to tiptoe because he’s 6’5" and around 250 lbs. He’d like to get on a regimen as well, to lose a few extra pounds and get back to his toned ol’ self. We don’t do the jogging thing because of our knees and it’s not very safe to do much walking around here because of traffic. There’s a gym I want to join but they cost $50 a month so my best bet is to start with a nutrition plan and try to get enough exercise at home. I was thinking about getting those tae bo tapes from billy blank. Has anyone tried them?

Hello.
I have used the tae bo tapes. Great workout… but I nearly shook the house down doing them. Not the quietest workout I’ve ever used for sure! How about a mini trampoline. Nice and quiet; an outstanding workout for every body. Yoga is good too, and you won’t make any noise.

Leslie Sansone walking tapes are really good and effective. :slight_smile:

Rebounding for health is a great exercies that can be done indoors any time of the year. It’s a great way to keep in shape and is relatively inexpensive once you purchase your rebounder. Needak Roubounders cost around $192 USD plus $25 shipping and handling. This is the one I purchased one month ago, and already I can see many benefits from rebounding, including weight loss, lower blood pressure, gives you a good cardiovascular workout.

dear ms_motivation, I read your post and I may have information that could help your condition, you can email me charmony@teleport.com and please identify you and your condition so I don’t delete it

I’ve used Leslie Sanson’s tapes for almost 2 years. They key is being consistent. I think you’d like them as she is very positive and upbeat.

Hi there,
You never said what your age was but one thing for sure is that you need to commit to some sort of exercise that you really feel good about. I am 57 years old and I have Fibromyalgia – it is a terrible condition that got a bum rap for several years but is now discussed openly and freely and even has support groups. I spent 10 years doing nothing and let myself get old. I am now on a list of medicines that work quite well at surpressing the pain so I am able to work out to a certain point. I took up Pilates back in late Spring and I love them. I have managed to keep them in my everyday schedule for 8 months or more and I intend to keep using my new found aerobics in my life forever. I spend only 30 minutes each morning and I really enjoy them! This exercise also gets your metabolism going for the day. As for a new kind of diet that might be suitable for your MS and your lifestyle, you need to think “common sense”. Fruits are good for you and they work for you, as well. They can work on your metabolism and rev it up pretty good. They can actually help you lose weight! Everytime you feel hungry or even want a snack – pick up a peice of fruit and eat it – don’t feel guilty!! If you need to eat a lot of protein, go ahead but choose your foods wisely. Poultry, as well as beef has lots of protein. Peanut butter has protein but must be used in moderation but it has the “good” fats in it so you can have it a couple of times a week as well as some nuts. They too, have lots of protein. Go light with the beef, it has protein but it has a lot of fat and calories in it that can cause weight gain or it can hinder the results that you are looking for. I hope this helps you because I feel like I wasted so many years by not doing any exercise because I was afraid of the pain that it might cause. The Pilates that I do are concentrated more on the certain parts of the body. I use the abs, butts and legs routine and it takes exactly 30 minutes – 10 minutes per each area. I think it’s time for me to advance a little to some new areas so that is the next step for me. One step at a time. Have a great day! Annie

I recently signed up for the Discovery Body Challenge. Throught this I got a free 8 week membership to e-diets.com. It is a wonderful idea, especially for someone who operates mainly at home.
I put in all the equipment that was available to me and my workouts were tailored to that equipment. Also, it tracks your progress
There is also a diet portion that will help you with recipes and other diet plans which include fast food and such stuff as Lean Cuisine.
Good luck!
Chalene :smiley:

I recently signed up for the Discovery Body Challenge. Throught this I got a free 8 week membership to e-diets.com. It is a wonderful idea, especially for someone who operates mainly at home.
I put in all the equipment that was available to me and my workouts were tailored to that equipment. Also, it tracks your progress
There is also a diet portion that will help you with recipes and other diet plans which include fast food and such stuff as Lean Cuisine.
Good luck!
Chalene :smiley: