Old Bay Seasoning Recipe

Hi all,

I live in Canada & unfortunately Old Bay Seasoning isn’t available here. Damn, too bad. Old Bay is awesome.
I am searching for a recipe on how to make my own. I’ve found a couple of recipes (see below). They are quite different in ingredients. Has anyone tried either of these recipes and if so, which one is the best? Or, does anyone have one that is even better?

Thanks,

Rho

1 Tbsp Celery Seed
1 Tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
6 Bay Leaves
1/2 Tsp Whole Cardamom
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seed
4 Whole Cloves
1 Tsp Sweet Hungarian Paprika
1/4 Tsp Mace

In a spice grinder or small food processor, combine all of the
ingredients. Grind well and store in a small glass jar.

1 Tbsp. ground bay leaves
2-1/2 tsp. celery salt
1-1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. ground mace
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Store in an airtight container and store in a cool place. Use with seafood or chicken. Makes about 1/4 cup

rhodry69:

I too have the 2nd recipe that you have posted here. I’ve never made it, but have been curious to see if it is close. I hope someone will know, or have a closer recipe. Keep us posted on your results.

BetK

My husband and I purchased a book back in the mid 60's - early 70’s called “Home Food Systems” by Rodale Press ( Organic Gardening ) that has many of the recipes for just such items as “Old Bay”. I don’t know if it still can be purchased, but it is a worth while book to have if you can find it.

It covers many topics from preserving foods to makin’ your own stuff.

For all of those people who are looking for Old Bay Seasoning in Canada, I’ve found it, WalMart sells it.
I found it there yesterday in the spice and baking section quite by accident.

thanks for the tip. will have to check it out the next time i’m in a wally mart.