Our Newest Favorite Soup

We have been lo-carbin’ for a bit it and we’re getting bored. I found this recipe on (I think) the "About’ website, and it’s our new favorite winter soup. So far, I have not modified it except to substitute the non-carb “Miracle Noodles” for the rice noodles. It’s still cold here up North, we’re due for another storm and I’m thinkin’ this is what we will have this weekend. If anyone has any delicious additions/modifications, or a better recipe, I’d love to hear about it. :smiley:

Easy Tom Yum Goong Recipe
Aside from being the most popular soup in Thailand, Tom Yum Soup has many health benefits, due its potent combination of herbs and spices. In fact, this Thai soup is currently under scientific study, as it appears to have immune-boosting power as a natural remedy for cold and flu viruses. Its spicy broth will clear your sinuses and warm you up from the inside! Make Tom Yum Soup as a appetizer, for lunch, or add noodles for a healthy and nutritionally complete dinner.
INGREDIENTS:
• 3 cups chicken stock (this makes enough soup to serve 2 people - double the recipe for 4 or more)
• 1 stalk lemongrass
• 3 kaffir lime leaves (available fresh or frozen at Asian food stores)
• 12 medium or large raw shrimp, shelled
• 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
• 1-2 small red (or substitute green) chilies (depending on desired spiciness), finely sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• a handful of cherry tomatoes
• a handful of fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
• 1 green and/or red bell pepper, sliced
• 1 can coconut milk
• wedges of lime for serving (key limes or regular limes)
• 1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
• optional: additional Thai red chilies, chopped finely with seeds removed
• optional: Thai rice noodles (OR egg/wheat noodles if you prefer)
PREPARATION:

1. Pour stock into a deep cooking pot and turn heat to medium-high.

2. Add processed lemongrass to the pot, including the parts of the lemongrass stalk you didn’t slice.

3. Boil for 5 minutes, or until fragrant.

4. Add garlic, chilli, and lime leaves to broth. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.

5. Add noodles (if using) and stir until broken apart. Add shrimp, mushrooms, and bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until noodles are done.

6. Turn down the heat to low and add the coconut milk and fish sauce. Test the soup for spice and salt, adding more chilies and/or fish sauce (instead of salt) as desired.

7. Serve in bowls with coriander sprinkled over and quarters of fresh lime on the side. Enjoy!
    Variations:
    • If you prefer chicken over seafood, substitute chicken breast for shrimp (cut the chicken into bite-size pieces).
    • This soup is often made without coconut milk (simply replace the coconut milk with more stock).