Peach and Blueberry Crisp (lacto-ovo)

Peach and Blueberry Crisp (lacto-ovo)

When the year’s crop of ripe local peaches made their first appearance at my farmers’ market, I couldn’t resist coming up with a seasonal twist on my mother’s old-fashioned apple crisp recipe. I cut the peaches in rather thin slices so that they cook thoroughly – making a nice contrast between the meltingly soft fruit and the crisp brown sugar topping.

INGREDIENTS:

5 large ripe peaches (approximately 2 lbs./1kg)
1 cup (250 ml) blueberries, picked over, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR TOPPING
1 cup (250 ml) flour
1/2 cup (125 ml) white sugar or evaporated cane juice
1/2 cup (125 ml) light brown sugar
1/4 pound (125 g) butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1/2 cup (125 ml) slivered almonds or coarsely chopped pecans (optional)[

Lightly grease a 10 inch (23 cm) pie pan or baking dish.

Peel the peaches. Remove the stone, core and cut into thin slices. Toss the peaches with the blueberries, 1 tablespoon sugar, cinnamon, 1 tablespoon flour and the almond and vanilla extracts. Set aside in the pie pan while you prepare the topping.

Place oven rack in the middle of the oven. If you’re baking the dessert in a pie plate, place a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven or on a rack below where you plan to bake the crisp. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).

Whisk together the flour, white sugar and brown sugar for the topping. Cut or rub in the soften butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.

Whip the egg until light yellow and very foamy. Stir the egg into the butter and flour mixture.

Distribute dabs of the topping mixture across the top of the fruit and spread with the back of a moistened spoon. (Don’t worry if you have gaps in the topping. The mixture will melt and spread across the top of the fruit when it bakes.) If desired, spread nuts across the topping.

Bake for 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

Remove pan from oven and place on a rack to cool. Serve warm or cool.

Serves: 6 to 8

B-man :wink: