1 cup milk or buttermilk
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 1/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten

Pour the milk and vinegar into a bowl, gently stir, and allow it to sit for a few minutes.

Pre-heat a large skillet over medium-low heat.

Combine all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir.
Add the egg and oil to the milk bowl, mix together. Then pour all of the liquid into the flour bowl.
Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until most of the lumps are out.

Lightly grease the pan and pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook slowly and flip when the bottoms are golden and the edges start drying out. Cook for another minute or so.

Serve with butter and maple syrup, or fresh fruit and whipped cream.

If you use buttermilk there is no need for the vinegar. The buttermilk has enough acid on its own. If you beat the egg well and then add the remaining ingredients you will get lighter pancakes. Even better, if you want to take the time to separate the egg, beat the white to stiff peaks and fold into the batter, your pancakes will be even lighter. I generally don’t bother with this step, but I have done it and find it (almost) worth the extra effort.

I wonder how close this is. I managed a Perkins.
Pancake batter was made from ;
eggs
oil
buttermilk
and Perkins pancake flour (unknown ingredients)

When cooking them on the grill, they were flipped when bubbles appear in the middle of cake. Waiting till edges were getting dry, was too long. Was a tricky flip to keep them from getting splashed when flipping. Took experience. Cooking temp~350F, both sides.
And the Perkins pancake was like no others. Spongy and moist.
Wish I could have some, but alas…can’t take any milk (buttermilk)

Would soy milk and vinegar be a suitable replacement for buttermilk?

I would guess that some of the secret is a low protein/gluten flour used in the pancake batter. Low protein flours work better for quick bread recipes (recipes using baking powder). This is because higher protein/gluten flours are more elastic and fight against the baking powder, causing a lower rise and can be tougher if stirred too much, developing more gluten.

One way to lower protein/gluten in a pancake batter is to use half cake flour and half all purpose flour.
Another way is to replace 2 Tbsp of flour per cup with 2 Tbsp cornstarch. This also lowers protein/gluten.

1 tsp of baking soda for 1 1/4 cups of flour looks like a lot and you might taste it. I would be tempted to replace most of the baking soda with some baking powder. I would still use 1/4 tsp baking soda to counter act the acid in the recipe. Baking soda also promotes browning and this will enhance flavor, so you need some, but not a lot.

It should work. I would start with 1 tsp vinegar to 1 cup soy milk. Almond milk with a little vinegar or lemon juice would also probably work. Rice Dream or coconut milk should also work. My wife made some strawberry shortcakes using Bisquick and almond milk that came out really good.

Plain yogurt would also replace buttermilk, cup for cup. Lemon juice added to milk is also a substitute. These last two would work for people that can have milk.

Almond milk with a little vinegar or lemon juice would also probably work. Rice Dream or coconut milk should also work.???