Perogi Peroski

I have made Perogi several times and they came outr greeat. What Im looking for is a different dish, but simular.

I first saw the recipe in a Russian Cookbook of my mothers and when I had to move it got left behind by accident and was lost to me.

The dish is a large baked dough filled with three or more different fillings and assembled in such a way when sliced everyone get a part of each filling. It is larger that a Perogi and is baked, not boil and/or pan fried in butter.

Please check your Russian cookbooks for a simular recipe

I’ll be on the look out. I love these old European recipes! Not familiar with this one but will watch for it.

This recipe says to deep fry, but I see no reason why you can’t brush them with beaten egg and bake them.

Russian Piroshki
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
dried dill weed to taste

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups oil for frying

Directions

In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until evenly browned; drain. Stir in the onion and cook with the beef until translucent. Sprinkle in salt, pepper and dill weed to taste. Allow to cool before using.
Dissolve the yeast in the 1/4 cup of warm water and place in a warm location until frothy, about 10 to 15 minutes. In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm the milk and gently whisk in the eggs, oil, sugar and salt. Remove from heat.
Place half the flour in a large mixing bowl and gradually stir in the milk mixture. Then add the yeast solution alternately with the remaining flour, stirring after each addition. Mix well. Knead until the dough forms a ball and does not stick to the bowl. (Note: Start with the 4 cups of flour. You may need to add more, a little at a time, as you knead the dough). Cover the bowl with a clean cloth. Set in a warm location and allow to rise until doubled in volume.
Remove dough from bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Pinch off pieces approximately the size of golf balls. Roll the pieces into disks about 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter.
Fill center of each disk with a heaping tablespoon of the cooled meat mixture. Fold disks over the mixture and firmly pinch edges to seal. Arrange on a flat surface and allow to sit approximately 10 minutes.
In an large, heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat the oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Deep fry the piroshki in batches until golden brown on one side; gently turn and fry the other side. Remove and let drain on a plate lined with paper towels.

Please do not think Im being obstinat about this, but the dish Im looking for is not the small, ravioli sized Perogis that are commly seen.

What Im looking for is more of a three meat/filling loaf and is of Russian origin from what I read in the Russian cookbook I saw.

Thank You. The Meat Roll recies is the closet to what Im looking for. I can add a second and thrid filling of potatoes and Cheese or Saurekraut and onion to make the tri-pie I read about

Messcook63…Do you recall which types of fillings were in the pie? All meats?..potatoes??cabbage or sauerkraut?

Just might be on to something here. If you don’t mind, could you pass along what you remember as the filling ingredients. Thanks!

As I remember, the fillings were simular to that of Perogie, limited only by your mind. One was a meat and Onion/Gabbage(?) filling, one was Cheese and Potatoe and one was Saurekraut and POtatoe I believe. It has been a while since I saw the recipe and I lost the cookbook when I moved from S.Florida to Lake City Florida in the north. I had the cookbooks I wanted to bring packed but somehow the box got left behind and when I called to have someone go get the few things I forgot, the Home Owners Association had looted the place. They also got a very valuable VAcuum called a Rainbow. If any of you have one of those you know they cost over $2000 for a fully equipted new one. Of course the Pres. of the H.O.A. denied anyone had been in the place, but the person I sent to collect the left behinds, had helped me pack one moving day and knew someone had been inside since we left. THere was no way for me to prove it, so I lost out.