Potatoe Salad Help

This has been an ongoing problem for me. The day after I make potatoe salad it becomes watery. I thought it may be from the potatoes & eggs still being a little bit warm but I have cooled completly before chopping & combining all ingredients. I use miracle whip, could that be it? I haven’t tried real mayo yet.
Desparate on Omaha!

What do you put in besides that? Do you have fresh vegetables in it? Because it sounds like what happens, when salt breaks down the cell structure in fresh vegetables, releasing the water.

Laurie,

I agree with Kitchen Witch that you should really let those potato pups drain well in a seive or put them into a oven for a few minutes at a low temp to evaporate the water and get them into the fridge and let cool. Everything should be cool and dry. Then make as normal. As far as Miricle Whip I don’t see how that should be a problem, I have never used it before but it does have the same texture as mayo. After you prepare salad cover it and put it back into the fridge till serving time. If having a picnic or backyard “barbie”, have the potato salad sit in a bowl of ice. When people are done eating put it back into the fridge as soon as possible, covered. It happens to me sometimes and I just tilt the bowl sideways and spoon the liquid out and stir it up again. Good luck.

LauriD,
I was glad to see your question because I have had the same thing happen. I never know if it will and I have tried to figure out the cause- making sure other vegies were dry and watching the juice from pickles, etc. So now I am going to try Kitchen Witch’s idea and I believe it may be in the potatoes, so next batch I make I will be sure and let them cool completely before adding. Maybe we are just too anxious to finish and taste.
Thanks for posting your question, I needed the info also.

I make potato salad all the time and never have had this problem. I cook the potatoes and eggs the day or evening before I make the salad and I usually use the store brand of salad dressing, no problem. It could be the mirclewhip as the first ing. on the label is water. Hope this helps.

MY grandmother’s recipe for potato salad calls for diced bacon fried crisp and added the bacon and grease to the hot peeled and cut up potatoes. The allow to chill thoroughly. Then add the HB eggs, celery, onion, green bell pepper, salt and pepper. Toss gently, but thoroughly. The add Hellman’s or Best Foods mayonnaise and mix thoroughly. Can top with sliced HB eggs and sprinkle with paprika. It is the best I have ever had and have had many requests from friends for it after they tasted it. It never lasts long enough to get watery, 2-3 days.