Preserve Eggs for a Longer Period

1. Wash the eggs and put them slowly in a container full of lime water or mustard oil. The eggs will not only be preserved for long - they will not get spoiled either.
  2. For storing eggs for longer time say for about 30-40 days, you should apply any cooking oil with the help of brush on the egg shell. They will stay for long time.

:razz:

Thanks.

This might sound spooky to ya’s, but did ya’ know that when a carton of eggs reaches it’s expiration date, that it is re-packaged, and redated after being exaimined ?
It’s why they put ‘expiration dates’, instead of ‘freshness dates’.
Some eggs last much longer without spoiling than others.
Haven’t ya’ ever noticed that supermarkets, never mark down eggs before they expire, like they do breads or meats ? ? ?
“The encredible edible egg”
Yeah, like we were ever meant to eat the unborn embryos of other animals !ps~ I love eggs, I’m just being sarcastic

Most, if not all " Store Bought" Eggs have athin coating of food safe woil on them to extend the “Sell By” Date. If you go to a smaller store you might be able to have the store manager order “No-Oil” eggs like a lot of bakerys or restaraunts do.

When we do an extended reenactment we have to have a lot of ice to keep any thing like milk, butter,eggs meat cold. We a lot of times freeze the meat and use it as ice for the trip to the event site. to save cooler space for eggs, we do one of these two things.
1 - place fresh sawdust in a box deep enough to allow at least 3/4 inch of sawdust under the eggs and the same ovre the eggs. This insulated them from the heat or freezing cold.

2 - brush each egg with a thin layer of melted parafin, like they used to use to seal jars or Home made Jellys.
THis keeps the eggs from breathing in bad air and spoiling them. THe same reason egg producers apply a thin coat of oil to eggs

Eggs can be frozen and will keep a good while (6 months or more). I just put them individually into a clean ice cube tray. When frozen, pop them out just like an ice cube and store in a freezer safe zip lock type bag.

They can then be thawed and used in any recipe you would like. Take out as many as you like and put the rest back in the freezer. They may be scrambled with no adverse effects. However, they really don’t do well if you just want to fry or boil them.

I buy them on sale and have 4-5 dozen frozen at a time. Never have run out when making anything requiring eggs.

Storing eggs in lime water has been practiced for over a century,
and I’ve no idea how much longer. Its reckoned they keep about 9
months in lime. Calcium lime, not fruit lime.

So many great ideas here, thanks everyone.

I have a very dear friend that grew up on a farm & said that eggs actually last way beyond the date of the egg package if stored properly.

I also have checked his theory with some websites & found that the best way to test for the safety of egg usage is to put the egg(s) in a flat deep pan & cover with cold water. Eggs laying flat, on their sides, at the bottom of the pan, are fresh. Eggs standing on end or tipped to their side are still safe to use, provided they are under water. Any egg that floats should be tossed as it is spoiled.

Nice one. I didn’t know there as a technique here. How many days do you think can an egg be stored just in the fridge?

Thanks for sharing tip.

Just because an egg shell is intact, doesn’t mean it’s free from salmonella. A chicken’s reproductive system can be infected with salmonella and deposit the germs inside the egg during formation. The salmonella is usually deposited in the egg white during this process, but the germ can migrate to the yolk. So a perfectly intact egg can have salmonella inside of it. Cooking to 165-F (74-C) will kill the bacteria and make the egg safe.

AND LET US REMEMBER;
Eggs cost less than ten cents apiece. Why are we trying to make them last longer rather than just replacing them ?

Wow this is very nice and interesting tips i like this tips i will follow next time lets how long i can preserve my eggs.