pumpkin pie recipe

hi everyone,

my great grandmother was hungarian and used to maked a different type of pumpkin pie. i haven’t had this type of pie in over 30 years & would love to have some again.

This pie was not the custard type that we are used to eating at thanksgiving. it was made with 2 crusts & the filling was grated pumpkin with some spices.

Does anyone have any recipes for this?

Greatly appreciated,

rho

I don’t know if any of this will help you -

PUMPKIN STUDEL

Strudel dough, confectioner’s sugar

Filling:
1 large plateful of grated pumpkin
3-4 tablespoons oil
3-4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinammon, salt

Peel a piece of pumpkin and grate on the vegetable grater. A large plateful of pumpkin is enough for one strudel leaf. Roll the leaf, let it rest for a few minutes, then sprinkle with oil. Place the pumpkin at one end of the dough, sprinkle with sugar, ground cinammon and a little salt. Roll and place in the baking sheet greased with oil. Grease the top with a little oil. Bake at medium heat until golden brown. Cut into pieces while still on the sheet and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.

PUMPKIN PIE - THIS RECIPE HAS NO MEASURES TO IT - IT IS VERY OLD
Pumpkin pie made with raw, grated pumpkin

Cream butter with sugar and 3 eggs. Add sifted cake flour, baking powder and salt. Coarsly grate uncooked pumpkin, add to above mixture with vanilla essence. Bake on the middle shelf for 40 to 45 minutes.

Pumpkin pie

2 lbs. pumpkin, cleaned and grated
1 cup raisins
1 cup crushed walnuts
1 cup almonds, blanched and chopped
1 cup stale breadcrumbs
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, ground
½ teaspoon clove, ground
4-5 tablespoons sugar
Pastry
4 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat the oven to 375* F… Place the grated pumpkin in a saucepan and cook slowly until all the liquid has left the vegetable. Put the pumpkin and the remaining ingredients (apart from the pie pastry and the melted butter) in a bowl and combine well. Layer the bottom of a medium pie tin with a sheet of pastry and brush with melted butter. Add another two sheets of pastry in this way, brushing each time with melted butter. Pour the pie filling over the pastry and cover with the remaining pastry sheets, brushing each one with melted butter. Trim the edges of the tin and use a sharp knife to score the top of the pie in squares. Bake for approximately 1 hour.

Pumpkin Oladi

Ingredients: 500 g flour, 500 g pumpkin (grated), 2 ea eggs, 1 tb sugar, 1 ts salt, 1/2 ts baking powder, 2 tb oil
Method:
In a large bowl, combine grated pumpkin, eggs, salt, sugar, flour with baking powder. Mix thoroughly the batter. Bake olady on a preheated pan until light golden.

This was found on a Hungarian cooking site. Hope it helps.

Hungarian Pumpkin Pie

2 c. pumpkin, cut into half-inch pieces
1/4 cup liquid from cooked pumpkin
1 c. raisins, soaked in 1/4 cup dark rum
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 tbsp. molasses
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk, beaten

This recipe uses cubes of raw pumpkin rather than canned pumpkin. Winter squash may also be used.
In medium saucepan, add 1 tbsp. of butter and 1/2 cup water to pumpkin, and simmer over medium heat, which should take approximately 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Mash or puree pumpkin. Add raisins, rum, cooked pumpkin, and remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined.

Turn into pastry lined 9 in. pie plate. Flute edges. Set in preheated 400 degree oven. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake about 30 minutes longer.

The recipe I posted with no measurement to it came from my doctors mother who is from Hungary - the only thing she would share was - 3 eggs.

The other recipes came from his sister.