Risotto first timer.

Hello all. I was thinking of trying my hand at risotto tonite and came across a recipe I liked. I was just wondering, and this may seem stupid, but the recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup of rice but doesnt mentioned wether it should be cooked or uncooked. Please help. Thank you.

You start with uncooked rice. If you read the recipe all the way through it should explain it. Also be sure to use rice for risotto, not ordinary long grain rice.

Thank you. That helps alot.

A short grain rice like Arborio needs to be used because of its high starch content.

Kitchen Witch is exactly correct. A recipe isn’t going to help you with the PROCEDURE which is the most important part of making Risotto. The basic ratio is 1 to 1.5 rice to liquid. So, if you use 1 cup of rice, you’ll need 1.5 cups of chicken broth.

Another tip: make sure the broth is simmering, it saves a lot of time.

A well written recipe will tell you the procedure. This is the recipe I use and it comes out perfectly every time.

Risotto Milanese
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 teaspoon saffron threads
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese
Serves 4

1.  In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the saffron and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the rice is well coated and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.

2.  Add the wine to the rice, and then add a 4 to 6 ounce ladle of simmering broth and cook, stirring constantly, making sure to wipe the sides and bottom of the pot clean as you stir, until all the liquid is absorbed.

3.  Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is completely absorbed before adding more.

4.  After about 20 minutes begin to taste the rice. It is ready when it is tender and creamy, but still a little firm to the bite.

5.  Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and the Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese until well mixed. Transfer to serving plates and serve.