Roasted Honey Citrus Chicken/Cornish Hens

I like to liven up my chicken a little so… Hence the twist. The prep is the biggest thing and the oven or rotisserre does the rest. I do mine in my ronco now if it is just for a few of us but into the oven for larger family get togethers. I have used this on large chickens and even my thankgsgiving turkey.

Roasted Honey Citrus Chicken

2 whole young chickens or 4 cornish hens (or as needed for your family.)
3-4 lemons and 3 oranges
2 whole heads garlic
Natures Seasoning
1-2 sticks Butter, room temp
1/4 cp honey (warmed in microwave)
4 TBS teriyaki sauce (watery)

Slice 1 lemon into thin rounds, Juice 2 lemons and zest. Keeping each seperate , repeat with oranges. Chop heads off garlic, no need to peel. Slice into 1/4’s. Pour 1/3 cp natures seasoning in seperate bowl so not to contaminate container. Unwrap butter and allow to come to room temp.

Preheat oven to 350 or however long pkg says or rotisserre recommends.

Remove neck and gibblets, toss. Rinse birds inside and out, pat dry with paper towel. Loosen skin on back side of bird to create a pocket carefully with hand. Rub bird down with softened butter (wear gloves during whole chicken prep progress if dont like feelin gooey, plus it is good handleing). Massage all over skin. Sprinkle inside out and under skin pocket with natures seasoning (we like a well seasoned bird so go to your families taste.) Place slices of lemons and oranges under skin in the pocket you created making sure they lay flat. 1 of each slice per bird , place orange piece on bottom next to meat.

Stuff Tsp of each zest and garlic pieces into cavity of birds. Take 1 TBS of juice (your favorite , I like orange the best)and mix with honey and teriyaki. Mix well. I use an injector and inject the meat about 1 injector amount per whole young chicken or 1/2 each for cornish hens.

Tuck wings under and tie drumsticks together. Place in rotisserre or on rack of roasting pan. Cooks about 10-12 mins per pound or until juices run clear. If placing in oven cover with aluminum foil for 30 mins. Then after 30 mins have gone by remove foil and baste chicken with rest of honey and teriyaki glaze.

I like the addition of celery seeds on the recipe.