Safety Tips in Cooking

Safety should be one of the primary priorities in cooking. This is true even for experts in the kitchen.

1. Be extra careful not to be too near the cooking surface. Wearing clothes with loose sleeves could easily catch fire.
  2. Refrain from placing sharp kitchen tools like knives in the sink especially if it’s already full.
  3. Put a list of emergency numbers posted somewhere in the kitchen. This list should be at the height that even children could see.
  4. Always have a fire extinguisher in reach.

I really agree with these. Even though we might have heard them over & over, they’re easy to forget.

Here’s one idea I found helpful. Fill your sink/dishpan with hot, clean soapy water. If your hands, or a utensil you have used & want to continue using, touch any food, simply dip them in the hot soapy water to avoid cross contamination & possibly transferring bacteria. Same is true for wiping a counter, any food on it, dip a clean dish cloth in the hot soapy water & wipe the counter.

I am serious about knife safety. My knife never leaves the cutting board unless it’s being cleaned during which it never leaves my hand. I’ve never been cut and with proper safety I never will.

Here’s one idea I found helpful. Fill your sink/dishpan with hot, clean soapy water. If your hands, or a utensil you have used & want to continue using, touch any food, simply dip them in the hot soapy water to avoid cross contamination & possibly transferring bacteria. Same is true for wiping a counter, any food on it, dip a clean dish cloth in the hot soapy water & wipe the counter.

Here are some simple tips to stay safe in Kitchen.

This first one is from Chef Tel Erhart(sp?) and is very simply the truth.

" When grating Lemon Peel. Stop when you see pink. There are no pink Lemons, that is your knuckles!" Same with chopping celery LOL

Keep you kitchen knives as sharp as you can. A dull knife requires more force to cut through something and is more likely to slip and cut you.

Keep finger bent under and out of the way of sharp knife blades

Keep the handle of pan filled with hot water or oil turned to the rear of the stove to prevent bumping and getting scalded or burnt.

Keep children out of kitchen when cooking with deep, hot oil.

If possable arrange kitchen so the stove, sink and fridge form a triangle. Stove next to fridge and sink behind or next to stove and fridge behind you when at stove. this saves moving around a if sink is right next to stove makes draining hot water more safe.

Using a damp soapy cloth on counters, or dipping utensils in soapy water, doesn’t stop cross contamination. The damp cloth or soapy water would have to be near boiling to work, and soap doesn’t kill bateria. Yes, its a good idea to keep things clean, but when it comes to most bateria, its the drying process that kills them.
I’m single and most times I’m cooking for just myself. Yet after cooking most meals, my sink is full of utensils, plates, pans…cause I grab a clean DRY item whenever I need it.
Only time I don’t bother is with my wine glass, coz I figure the alcohol kills the little buggers…

Clean cooking surfaces regularly to prevent grease buildup which can ignite.
Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire.

There are various factors which we should consider while cooking. The safety tips you have provided for cooking are really helpful for professional chefs. Thanks for sharing!

Be careful while cooking on the stove pay attention to what is cooking and don’t sit on a computer or telephone in another room. Many fires develop this way and can be prevented if only the cook was paying attention to what was happening on the stove.

Three Golden safety tips

Don’t hold a baby or child while you are cooking.
Rushing around the kitchen will almost guarantee accidents.
Make sure you are wearing safe clothes too.

Great tips everyone!

Safety in cooking should be the first thing you look for.Often we neglect about the cooking pot.It is best to use ceramic coating non sticky pans for this.

thanks for this tips…i will follow

Thanks for sharing this recipe , love the recipe allot thanks for sharing

i agree with your post

The biggest safety hazard in a kitchen is germs. There are more bathroom germs in your kitchen than in your bathroom.
So, clean everything with a bleach solution prior to cooking so you do not spread germs into the food. . Wash your hands a lot. Make sure dishes were put away clean after having been dipped in bleach or done in the dishwasher.
When you handle poultry: Set all your ingredients and tools up first. Then get the chicken out and wash and prep it. Every surface that the chicken or its juices touched gets the bleach solution, and you need to wash your hand after the poultry is safely in its pan. Wash the utensils that touched the poultry, if you plan to use the same dish to recieve the cooked poultry as the one you had it in raw, wash it. Don’t use rags or sponges around poultry, just use paper towels and throw them away. Unless you are planning to boil the rags. Don’t touch anything else with your hands unless you wash them.
Other hints: keep all flammable things well away from the cook top. If something catches fire on the stove, it is less likely to spread if there are no pot holders or rolls of paper towels near. Keep a fire extinguisher at hand. And keep the cook top wiped off. If grease is splattering, wipe it off with a damp rag. Invest in a splatter screen, they are a flat round screen that fits over your skillet. Never leave the room when something is frying. A grease fire is dangerous.
The only real danger in cooking rice is letting the pan go dry, and having the rice stick to the pan, and burn. Since rice is starch, it does stick like glue.
Beware of steam, just taking the lid off of something, or opening the oven door without standing back to let the steam out can cause serious burns. open covered pans away from you, and use appropriate protection for your arms and hands.

Many many thanks for sharing such nice tips and will be useful for all of us.