sauce's for ice cream

Note: Although the temp’s. have dropped at my house we still eat ice cream all year around.

Hot Fudge

This sauce stays gooey on ice cream. It can be made ahead of time and warmed before serving.

1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup light corn syrup, plus more to adjust consistency
12 ounces dark chocolate finely chopped
Combine heavy cream and corn syrup in a saucepan. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Remove from heat, and add chocolate. If necessary, adjust consistency with additional corn syrup. Wisk until the chocolate is melted, and serve.

Strawberry Sauce

this sauce is just to easy. A must try when strawberries are in season

1/2 cup sugar
1 pint strawberries, stems and leaves removed

Place sugar and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan, stir and bring to a boil. Simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved. Allow the syrup to cool completely. Place half the strawberries in the jar of a blender, add the cooled syrup. Puree until smooth, pass through a fine sieve. Chop remaining berries; stir into
strawberry puree, serve. Keeps well in frig for up to 3 days.

Butterscotch Sauce
For the perfect consistency-thick but pourable, serve this sauce slightly warm.

1 stick real butter
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup heavy cream

Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add sugars and corn syrup. Bring to a boil; Cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, slowly stir in heavy cream. Wisk until well blended. Allow to cool slightly and serve. Can be refrigerated up to a week ,and warm before serving.

Those all sound so good, now I’ll have get a bowl of ice cream.

One of the most unusual things I’ve made in my pressure cooker is caramel sauce for ice cream.

It’s made by pressure cooking unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk for 20 to 45 minutes on high pressure. In Latin America they call this caramel Dulce de Leche.

Make sure to remove paper can label before processing so it won’t come loose and clog steam vents. Place cans on trivet in bottom of pressure cooker and add enough water to cover.

After the pressure cooking time is up, turn off heat and let pressure fall to normal naturally.

Open and place pressure cooker in sink and flush with cold water. Let can of sweetened condensed milk sit in cold water until it is room temperature. Then you can open it and enjoy the caramel. Don’t try to open a hot can or it may spray hot caramel on you.

20-minutes makes a thinner, pourable caramel.
30-45 minutes makes a thicker, spoonable caramel.

Google “Dulce de Leche” for more info.

The standard way to make “Dulce de Leche” is to boil the can in an open pot for 3 or 4 hours. The danger is if the pot goes dry the can may explode. Cooking in a pressure cooker is faster and everything is contained and safe.

Hi Antilope and thanks for the Dulce de Leche recipe. I’ve heard of it but have never tried to make it. You make it sound so easy I’ll have to give it a try…Prairiehen