Scotch Eggs

1 lb. pork sausage meat
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon seasoned flour, made with 1 tablespoon flour, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 hard-boiled eggs
1 large egg well beaten
2 oz. dry breadcrumbs
sufficient vegetable oil for deep frying

1. Place the sausage meat and Worcestershire sauce in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the seasoned flour and blend the mixture with your hands. Divide the mixture into 4 equal pieces.

2. Mould each piece of meat around an egg and roll each egg between your hands to shape the sausage meat coating.

3. Place the beaten egg and breadcrumbs in two separate, shallow dishes. Dip the egg first in the beaten egg, and then in breadcrumbs, coating them thoroughly and shaking off any excess crumbs. Set aside.

4. In a large saucepan or deep frying pan. Heat the oil over moderate heat until it reaches 350°F / 175°C on a deep fat thermometer or until a small cube of stale bread dropped into the oil turns light brown in 55 seconds.

5. With the tongs, lower the eggs into the oil. Fry for 5 minutes, or until they are deep golden brown.

6. Remove the pan from the heat. Using the tongs, transfer the eggs to kitchen paper towels to drain.

7. Place the eggs on a warmed serving plate and serve at once, if they are to be eaten hot.

NB. Served hot with a tomato sauce or cold with a salad.

I love Scotch Eggs and have made them often for a nice lunch when going to a one day Civil War or large Flea Market trip. I have found that using small or Medium eggs are best as you will have enough sausage to full cover and seal the eggs inside the meat. If you use large eggs, you need to use more sausage to fully cover the eggs.

I have also used ground Buffaloe meat and this makes a good meal as well

If you use quail eggs they are great as hors d’oeuvres.

I used a meatloaf mixture instead of sausage when my children were small and we called them “Cow Eggs”.