salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp nutmeg
8 oz beef broth
2 tbsp butter; mixed with
2 tbsp flour
2 lb potatoes; cooked and mashed
butter

Cook ground beef in frying pan until brown. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Lower heat and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add beef broth; bring to a boil. Stir in enough of the butter/flour roux to make a thick gravy to bind the filling. Pour into large shallow baking pan ( I used a 8x12") and cool. The filling should be about 1-1/2 inches deep.

Cover the meat mixture in the pan with the corn and then top with the hot mashed potatoes. Smooth potatoes evenly, brush surface with butter. Bake at 325 F for 35-40 minutes.

I’m making this for dinner tonight, as it can be mostly made ahead of time. This is really really good. Sure to please even the pickiest of diners… :smiley:

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 onion finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup parsley flakes
1 tsp oregano (optional)
1/4 - 1/3 cup flour
American cheese slices
Mashed potatoes
Paprika

Brown beef with onion, using fork to break beef into small pieces as it cooks; season with herbs/spices. Add flour and mix well. Place in rectangular glass or metal cake pan and press to make ‘base’. Cover with American cheese slices. Top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika & a little salt and pepper.

Bake 30 minutes @ 350. Slice into squares. Serve with side veggie and/or salad.

I do apologise, but those recipes would be better listed as " Cottage Pie "
as " Shepherds Pie " is made ( at least, here in the UK ) with minced lamb.
… Shepherds - - sheep … get the idea ?

again, apologies.

Hey fredicus! That makes sense. Actually, I’ve always known shepherd’s pie to be made with ground beef. That’s how everyone I know makes it here in Canada. I’ve just recently noticed a lot of recipes using lamb. And it’s like you say… shepherd = sheep = lamb But I have one question, where do you get the “cottage” pie idea? LOL Just curious! :lol:

Hi fredicus…

Shepherds pie is traditionally made here in Canada and the USA with ground beef. And as Aline asked, where does the reference “cottage pie” come from? Glad to see you posting from across the sea…so to speak. Please be sure to leave us “beef eating Shepherd’s” some of your British recipes. One a final note, you needn’t feel compelled to apologise…your views are welcome. Regards,

B-man :wink:

If I may be so bold as to reply, I lived in the UK for 6 years and the responce I recieved was the shepards used what was availble to them in the field, Root vegetables that wouldn’t go bad and meat that was readily available. The cottage was in the village or town and had a butcher close by and could more easily obtain beef.

Pardon my interruption,
ttfn,

Hi MrsS!

You are not being bold :wink: Thank you for your story. I was very curious to know where the “cottage pie” theory came from. Thanks for clearing that up! :smiley:

Thanks MrsS… Your answer makes so much sense. And as Aline pointed out…YOU ARE NOT INTERRUPTING. Your view(s), comments, opinions etc., are ALWAYS welcome. There is no heirarchy of membership nor order of importance\significance here. We’re all equal ! Regards,

If I may be so bold as to reply, I lived in the UK for 6 years and the responce I recieved was the shepards used what was availble to them in the field, Root vegetables that wouldn’t go bad and meat that was readily available. The cottage was in the village or town and had a butcher close by and could more easily obtain beef.

Pardon my interruption,
ttfn,[/quote]

To Aline and B-man,
Thanks for your hospitality :smiley:
Have been enjoying the read I have been having.
Look forward to more interaction.
The other thing I learned about making a good “cottage pie” is to use 1 TBLS. mixed herbs in the meat and gravy. A mix of Oregano, Basil, Thyme. Sage and one other herb I’ve forgotten at the moment.
I sometimes substitute Turkey for the beef and season the meat and gravy with sage

Just a note to all who have been part of this ‘conversation’ - and to anyone else who reads it. THANK YOU! It almost feels like I’m sitting around the kitchen table with friends, sharing new and different ideas.

I completely agree with those who said there is no need for apolgies, no such thing as interrupting or being too bold. I joined this forum - for both sharing and learning. We all have our own ways, favorite ingredients and recipes. However, we must all want to learn about the ways and recipes of others or we wouldn’t be here!

I am so excited to have found and become a part of this international forum! How better to join our ‘communities’ than through the sharing of food?!

Well put bp354! We’re all in this together…the learning process is continual and never-ending; sharing is a huge bonus, for all of us. Regards,

[/b]

Thanks for all the comments however I really still need a bit of help. Without titling the dish I wish to prepare. let me tell you that after the meat and gravy layer (which is, in my recipe, lamb [delicious!]) there is a layer of carrots and creamed spinach, then a layer of potatoes. The spinach is lightly seasoned with nutmeg. Do you think that some type of beef might possibly braise well, leaving me with a tender, tasty meat and a great gravy. I realize that few meats have the same collagen that lamb shanks do but there must be something that would be quite good . . . (?)