Simple Crockpot Barbecue

This is not my recipe but it is the one I use.

1 4-5 pound Pork Butt Roast
1 Tablespoon seasoned salt
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon pepper
4 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 large sweet onion, sliced into rings
1 cup water
foil
homemade barbecue sauce

The blog’s cooking method is the oven but thatmakes the meat way too tough. I use the crockpot on low for about 8 hours.

My only issue with the recipe is the 1 cup of water. There has to be something to replace that water with that will add flavor. It just drives me nuts to have a large componet of a dish not contribute flavor.

You could use a beef stock but it probably wouldn’t change much. There is a lot of moisture that would come from the roast itself.

Use apple juice, most good meat recipes do

What do you do with all the fat that will render from that butt? Most crock pot pulled pork recipes use pork loin which has almost no fat, at least compared to a butt.
You can substitute BBQ sauce for the water, use only 1 tablespoon of the liquid smoke if you do(I would cut that ingredient out all together.)

We made this yesterday and it turned out great! I slow cooked for 4 hours and it was fall of the bone good!! The sauce makes ALOT though. I didn’t think you really needed to boil it down, I did but we didn’t really use mutch of it as the chicken was covered pretty well fromt he slow cooker. I will make this again!! Thank You!