South Beach Breakfast?

I’ve been trying to do the South Beach diet, and wonder if anybody has any good low carb breakfast recipes to share. I just NEVER want eggs in the morning, and am so tired of eating them. I’d rather have a nice whole-wheat muffin, but I find if I start my day off with carbs, it totally throws me off.

Anybody have any good low-fat, low-carb breakfast recipes that aren’t… well… an omlette?

-Karen

This sounds strange, but it is very good. Like…Pudding for Breakfast! :stuck_out_tongue:

Tara’s Tofu Breakfast/Dessert
…and I don’t even like tofu. I’m not a big dessert eater, so I enjoy these for breakfast. I get about four servings from each batch.
Chocolate Pudding:
One 12 ounce package soft silken tofu (according to the package: 4 servings/container. Per serving: 2g carb, 4g protein, 2.5g fat, 0 sat fat, 45 cal)
One tablespoon cocoa
One teaspoon vanilla
Sweetener to taste
Pinch of cinnamon
Blend in blender until smooth. Chill and eat.

How 'bout Breakfast Meatballs? Okay, they got eggs in 'em but you really can’t taste the eggs.:stuck_out_tongue:
Oops! Realized that this is not really lowfat. But, they could be if you substitute low fat turkey sausage and use very lean ground beef. Will add a recipe for sausage seasoning to make own turkey or chicken sausage below
Breakfast Meatballs

2 # breakfast sausage
1# ground beef
3 eggs
2 T instant minced onion
½ # sharp Cheddar cheese – shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients and pepper to taste in a bowl. Mix thoroughly, roll into 1-1/2 inch balls or drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Bake 18-20 minutes. Makes 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 pounds of meatballs.

To freeze; cool quickly. Wrap and freeze, or to preserve shape, freeze on a tray and pop into freezer containers. Can remain frozen up to 6 months.

To reheat; Preheat ovn to 350 degrees F. Place container of meatballs into the oven and bake 30-40 minutes or until hot. Or microwave on high until hot.

Recipe makes 16 servings.

Per Serving:
269 calories
< 1 g. carb
18 g. protein
< 1 g. fiber
21 g. fat

Homemade Sausage Seasoning Blend #102718
recipe by HeatherFeather
A dry herb blend for giving any ground meat a “sausage” flavoring. Try this not only with ground pork, but also ground turkey, beef, or chicken. Adapted from a recipe that came with one of my pizza pans. Recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc as needed. Each batch is enough to season 1 pound of meat. Leave out the crushed red pepper flakes for milder sausage.
3 Tbsp
5 minutes 5 mins prep
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3 1/2 teaspoons paprika

2/3 teaspoon garlic granules or garlic powder

1/3 teaspoon fennel seeds

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, for spicy (optional)

1. Blend all ingredients together in a spice grinder or mini-food processor (or you may also just stir together if you like some chunkier bits of fennel in your sausage).
  2. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
  3. To use, mix with 1 pound ground meat.
  4. Chill seasoned meat 3 hours before using.
  5. Or you may also use this in any recipe calling for sausage seasoning.

Kitchenwitch-- some of those recipes look really good!

I’ll have to try some of that pudding. I saw a recipe for cookies and cream ice cream made with tofu that I really want to try-- it’s versatile stuff.

The breakfast meatballs sound good-- but I think that’s too much fat for me. I have high cholesterol and would want to avoid all that red meat. Shame, because they sound awesome. I LOVE the idea of the spice mix, though, and will have to save that. You can’t get sausage here with the kind of flavoring I’m used to… I’ve tried flavoring it at home and it turns out okay, but a spice mix would make it even easier.

In case anybody’s interested, here’s a low carb breakfast recipe I found that might be really good. It’s high fat, too, unfortunately. But most ofl the fat comes from almonds, so it’s super healthy fat. I’m going to make it next week-- I’ll report back then.

Delicious Low Carb Cornbread

SERVES 8

3 1/2 ounces ground almonds or almond flour
1 ounce melted butter
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. In a small bowl, mix wet ingredients, then work in the dry ingredients.
  2. Pour into a greased microwave-safe container (about 6-inch square, or thereabouts).
  3. Microwave for 2 minutes at power level 8.
  4. Cut into 8 slices, about 1 carb per slice.
  5. Serve with butter.

Just an update on this cornbread… I added Splenda and vanilla extract (to make it more of a breakfast bread) to this, and it was REALLY good. A little eggier and spongier than regular cornbread, but great. Definitely takes care of my bread cravings, and the almond flavor was really really nice. Made enough for breakfast during the week, and will make again.

Next is a recipe I have for low card almond cookies. Can’t wait to try it.

-Karen

How did your almond cookies turn out, karenlyn? Will you post the recipe?:razz:

Sorry I didn’t see this post before! The cookies turned out good, but I liked the muffins better, in the end. Still, I’ll make them again.

Here’s the recipe I used:

Low-Carb Almond Cookies

2 c. almond flour
1/2 c. splenda for baking
1/2 c. minus 2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 egg

Preheat oven to 300. Whip butter. Add remaining ingredients.

Form into walnut-sized balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 5 minutes. Push down with a fork, then bake for 18 minutes more. Cookies will NOT brown.

Let cook on cookie sheet 5 mins, then transfer to wire rack.

Optional: Drizzle melted chocolate over each cookie.

I didn’t do the chocolate, and they were nice. I had some trouble pressing them flat with a fork, as it stuck to the cookies quite badly-- you have to be very gentle, and even then some of them still broke a bit. I’ll also reduce the almond extract next time. I found the artificial almond flavor to overpower the natural almonds.

Here’s the low-fat recipes that you can try.

Applesauce Oatmeal Pancakes

While boxes of pancake mix are convenient, it really doesn’t take much time to make your own pancake batter. For a little extra fiber, try these yummy applesauce oatmeal pancakes. Resist the temptation to top them with butter. A little maple syrup is perfect, or try some warmed applesauce and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or substitute whole wheat flour for half the amount)
* 1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
* 1/2 cup fat-free milk
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
* 2 large egg whites
* 1 tbsp canola oil

Preparation:
Place ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended.

Heat a griddle to 375 degrees (medium). When griddle is hot, pour about 1/4 cup of pancake batter per pancake. Cook until bubbles appear and edges are puffed. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden.

Makes about 8 pancakes.

Hello everyone, my name is Amy and I am a dietitian and I often cook food inline with the South Beach Diet. I recently started a recipe blog that contains only foods that are allowed and encouraged on the South Beach diet. This way you’ll be able to lose weight without getting bored of the same salad every night!

Here is an example of one of my favorite recipes:
Flaxseed Muffins

3 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. oil
1/4 cup sugar free syrup, such as Da Vinci
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 cup flaxmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt

Directions:

In a medium, bowl, beat the eggs with a fork.

Beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla.

In small bowl combine remaining ingredients, then stir into egg mixture.

Let stand 5 minutes.

Spoon into well greased muffin cups (without paper)

Bake at 350 F 12-15 minutes

Remove from tin at once to cooling rack.

Have a nice day,
Amy

I am 280 pounds in weight and I think I am double with my weight. So I am looking for the way to get rid of about 100 pounds of my weight minimum. I have always had a slight problem with depression. I have been dieting now for about 8 months but lost only 30 pounds. I am so confused. What should I do? Please help me. Is there any helpful diet that helps me to get my target?

30 pounds in 8 months is an average of 3.75 pounds a month. That is a healthy way to lose weight. You must be doing something right. As KW said, keep at it and I applaud you for doing a very difficult thing.