Super Easy Scratch Yellow Cake

This is a two layer cake, I just happen to have some cake pans that were designed to take two layers worth of batter and make three layers out of it. That’s why mine is three layers. Of course if you want three layers you can always increase the recipe by 1/2.

Basic Yellow Cake

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 stick butter (not margarine), softened
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350°

Cut wax paper to fit the bottom of 2- 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans. Spray the pans with cooking spray, place the wax paper in the pans and spray the paper.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well. Cut the butter in with a pastry cutter as if you were making biscuits. (I just use the paddle attachment of my mixer to cut the butter in)

Add the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
Add the eggs and continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.

Cool round cakes on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.

Frost as desired.

Your welcome… I use a simple cooked frosting that my kids love. I make this frosting sometimes and use it as hot fudge sauce for ice cream…

Glossy Chocolate Frosting

Mix together:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
5 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt

Stir in 1 cup boiling water and cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, add 1/2 stick of butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla.

Microwave instructions:

Mix dry ingredients in a large microwave safe bowl.

Heat water to boiling in microwave and add to dry ingredients. Beat with a wire wipe.

Cook 1 minute on high in microwave and stir well.

Cook 1 more minute on high and stir well.

Cook 30 seconds longer and stir well.

Add 1/2 stick butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla, stir well.