Terrine’s Pickle-brined Fried Chicken

Today’s Secret Recipe comes from Terrine in Los Angeles, California. Terrine serves traditional French cuisine in a stunning space complete with an outdoor patio. Chef Kris Morningstar puts a California twist on French classics.

At Terrine they serve a moist and tender pickle-brined fried chicken. Chef Morningstar doesn’t brine the chicken in actual pickle juice; rather, he brines chicken thighs overnight in a mixture of pickling spice, garlic and fresh dill. The chicken has an extra-crisp crust and just the right amount of savory tang.

You can always find an endless selection of chicken recipes on our forum.

Enjoy!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I was losing my memory, focus – and my mind!
And then… I got it all back again.
Discover How.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
New Secret Recipe
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Terrine’s Pickle-brined Fried Chicken
Like this recipe? Get our Restaurant Secret Recipes Cookbook.

Brine:

• 2 quarts water
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (125 grams) kosher salt
  • ¼ cup plus 1 heaping teaspoon (62.5 grams) sugar
  • 6 tablespoons pickling spice
  • 1 head garlic, split
  • 1 ounce fresh dill
  • 3 ½ pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken
  1. In a heavy pot, combine the water, salt, sugar, spice, garlic and dill and bring to a simmer over high heat. Remove from heat and cool completely.

2. Place the thighs in a non-reactive container. Pour the brine over the thighs, keeping the thighs submerged, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Pickle-brined fried chicken:

• About 1 ½ cups cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne powder, or to taste, divided
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
  • 1 ½ teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
  • 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 cups Wondra flour
  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
  • Brined chicken thighs
  • Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (or to taste), and the water to form a slurry. Set aside.

2. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the remaining teaspoon cayenne, the paprika, Old Bay seasoning, pepper, flours and salt.

3. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry. Dip a piece into the slurry. Shake the excess slurry off the piece and dredge in the flour to coat completely. Place the chicken on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pieces. Refrigerate the chicken, uncovered, for 1 hour.

4. When the chicken is almost ready, heat a deep-fryer or heavy pot filled at least 3 inches deep with oil to a temperature of 325 degrees.

5. Fry the chicken, 2 to 3 pieces at a time, until the skin is crisp and golden-brown, the meat is white and firm and a thermometer inserted reads 165 degrees, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain the chicken on a rack, and serve immediately.

Serves 8

Have a comment or question about this recipe? Post it here

Source: LA Times

Until Next Time… Be Well!

Kind Regards,

RSN