Thanksgiving Recipe Ideas

Hi all,
My husband is in the Military and is deployed right now, he will be gone for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I was depressed having to spend the holiday’s without him here, but much to my surprise my parents are coming down to spend thanks giving with me and the kids.
Here is my dilema…I’m a real good cook, my turkey, gravy, potatoes and stuffing all come out great, but other sides, well we are a corn kind of family, so I never have experimented with other stuff. I know they like sweet potato casserol and other traditonal recipes, so I’m looking for some good recipes I can surprise them with, even though I wont be eating them:) Any ideas, after 10 years they are finally coming for the holiday’s, I would like them to come again!

okay might be a silly question but never understood threads??? Is there something that you have tried that is great. I know they always eat sweet potatoes casserol, does anyone have a great recipe for this, thats an old family tradition?

Threads are topics.

Green Bean Casserole is always good. The recipe is on the back of the can of french fried onions :slight_smile:

Sorry always called them posts, guess it is the same as different people saying the same thing in differant ways:)

Have you ever thought about doing a corn chowder rather than corn on the side. I use this every year and my family would not let me get away with not making it. Its a nice replacement for salad which we have often throughout the year. Here is my recipe if that will help.
CORN CHOWDER - GRANDMA PAULI’S FAVORITE

8 OUNCES SALT PORK, DICED
2 CUPS ONION, CHOPPED
2 CUPS CELERY, CHOPPED
1 BAY LEAF
1/3 CUP FLOUR
4 CUPS WATER
4 CUPS POTATO, DICED
5 CANS KENEL CORN (1 POUND EACH)
5 CANS CREAM-STYLE CORN (1POUND EACH)
4 CAN EVAPORATED MILK (12 OUNCES EACH)
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
CHOPPED PARSLEY
PAPARIKA

COOK THE SALT PORK UNTIL CRISP.
REMOVE THE PORK AND ALL BUT 3 TABLESPOONS OF FAT.
ADD THE CELERY, ONION AND BAY LEAF.
COOK THE MIXTURE FOR 5 MINUTES.
BLEND IN THE FLOUR.
DRAIN THE KERNEL CORN SAVING THE LIQUID.
ADD ENOUGH WATER TO EQUAL 4 CUPS TO CORN LIQUID.
ADD THE LIQUID AND POTATOES TO THE CELERY AND ONION MIXTURE.
BRING THE MIXTURE TO A BOIL.
COVER AND SIMMER FOR 15 MINUTES.
ADD THE BOTH CORNS AND MILK.
HEAT THE MIXTURE WELL.
SEASON THE MIXTURE TO TASTE.
RETURN THE PORK TO THE MIXTURE.
SERVE THE CHOWDER WITH PARSLEY AND PAPRIKA.

NOTE: THIS RECIPE REQUIRES A VERY LARGE STOCK POT OR DUTCH OVEN. IF YOU DO HAVE ONE YOU WILL WANT TO CUT THE RECIPE IN HALF.

YOU MAY ALSO USE BACON IN PLACE OF THE SALT PORK BUT YOU MAY NEED TO ADD MORE SALT AT THE END.

If I am not wrong a thread is a topic and a post is a comment regarding that thread. NO?

Makes sense.