The Best Homemade Potato Skins

This is another great appetizer that goes over big at parties, or just as a nice snack for the family. I love to load them up to the point where they almost become a meal themselves. Aside from baking the potatoes, they really don’t take very long and are well worth the effort.

6 medium sized baking potatoes
shredded cheddar cheese
shredded Velveeta cheese
crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
diced green onions
diced red pepper
minced garlic
sour cream

Scrub the potatoes well and wrap them in aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about an hour. Allow them to come to room temperature. Cut potatoes in half length wise and scoop out the middle, leaving about 1/4 inch of potato all around. Cook them in a fryer, a few at a time, at 375 degrees until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. If you don’t have a fryer, heat several inches of oil in a large pan until it registers 375 degrees on a candy thermometer and proceed as above. Drain on paper towels. Place the potato skins on a baking sheet and fill them with the minced garlic, bacon, cheddar cheese, red pepper, velveeta, and green onions. Return to the oven at 375 degrees and bake until cheese in bubbly, about 7 to 10 minutes. Serve with sour cream on the side. Please note that all ingredients are “to your liking”, so you can add as much or as little as you like. These are also excellent if you add chili to them as well. Enjoy!

I tried these the other night and my family LOVED them! Frying them in the oil first really gets them crisp just like in a restaurant. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

Hi jslate6228, I wanted to thank you for the Lava Flow recipes you sent last week. We did a ‘dry run’ and they are wonderful…closed my eyes and thought I was in Miami again. Also, this potato recipe sounds great…I never considered frying them first. Is this one of your original creations?

JoanieCooks

Hmmmmm… Déja vu! :lol:

Indeed Aline…Deja vu !!!

B-man :wink:

I’m really glad you liked them sgt_pusher69, I’m always happy to share what little I know with the group.

You’re quite welcome for the Lava Flow recipe Joanie, I hope they go over well for your 4th of July party. The potato skins are an original creation of mine, but not the frying part. That is how most restaurants cook their potato skins, it gets them nice and crisp and allows you to hold them while you eat them without them falling apart. I never liked having to choose between just plain cheese and bacon at a restaurant, so when I make them at home I load them up with all the goodies.

B-man, I am extremely flattered :slight_smile:

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend!!

Joe