The Cheesecake Factory Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes

Cheesecake Factory Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes

I have been looking for a great tamale recipe and I think that I’m gonna try to give this one a go…It seems to be pretty easy… I just HATE messing w/ those corn husks I had much rather use banana leaves instead but with this recipe you dont have to use either and I like that idea!!!

These are so amazing and easy to make!

Microwave Mexican Restaurant Sweet Corn Cakes

Makes 6 cups, 12 servings - On table in 15-minutes

[i]Copy Cat Recipe. I wanted a quick recipe to copy the sweet corn cakes (Mexican spoon bread) that are served at Mexican restaurants like El Torito and Chi Chi’s. This is ready to eat in about 15 minutes. If you don’t have masa harina flour on hand, you can add an additional 1/4 cup of yellow cornmeal, but the masa harina flour adds the authentic taste to this dish. For a less sweet dish, reduce granulated sugar to 1/3 cup. For a firmer sweet corn cake, microwave an additional 3-minutes.

If you’ve never had these at a Mexican restaurant, they are similar to a firm, sweet, grits or polenta, with a corn tortilla flavor.
The corn tortilla flavor comes from the masa harina flour.[/i]

Ingredients

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup masa harina flour (or 3 corn tortillas, uncooked, - process in food processor to fine bits, use in place of masa harina)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups milk
2 cups water
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
1 egg, beaten
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Directions

Stir all dry ingredients together in mixing bowl, mix well and set aside until needed.
Mix all wet ingredients together in another bowl. Stir until well mixed.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir out any dry lumps in batter.

Pour into a 3-quart covered, microwaveable casserole dish.

Cover and microwave on high for 6-minutes.

Stir well. Stir bottom and sides of dish well to remove any dry lumps.

Cover and microwave on high for another 6-minutes.

Stir a few times and serve warm using an ice cream scoop or disher.

This gets thicker as it cools and reaches room temperature. If you want a more
gritty sweet corn cake, use polenta corn meal instead of regular corn meal.

I have always wanted to make this and could never find a recipe i liked!! thanks

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup masa harina
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions

In a medium bowl beat butter until it is creamy. Add the Mexican corn flour and water and beat until well mixed.
Using a food processor, process thawed corn, but leave chunky. Stir into the butter mixture.
In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar, cream, salt, and baking powder. Add to corn flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into an ungreased 8x8 inch baking pan. Smooth batter and cover with aluminum foil. Place pan into a 9x13 inch baking dish that is filled a third of the way with water.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven F (175 degrees C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use an ice cream scoop for easy removal from pan.

Yes that’s the traditional oven method for the recipe that takes an hour in the oven. That’s why I developed the 15-minute microwave version of this recipe.