The French 75

Has Anyone had the chance to drink or make this fantastic cocktail. It is being featured as Cocktail of the Week over at Beefeater. It is part of the Beefeater Mixology Series with instructional videos.

The French 75 first made its appearance in print in the 1930 edition of Harry Craddock’s famous Savoy Cocktail Book. Legend has it the cocktail was first invented by WW1 Franco-American flying ace, Raoul Lufbery. Its name comes from the fact that it has such a kick, it felt like being shelled by the French 75mm field gun.

Ingredients are as follows:
2 PARTS Beefeater Gin

2 PART Freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 PART Sugar syrup

TO TOP Champagne

METHOD Shake the gin, lemon juice and sugar syrup with ice, then strain into a Champagne flute. Top with the Champagne, and garnish with a Maraschino cherry.

Yum, i have these ingredients so i may make this tonight!

Thats the spirit… no pun intended. Let me know what you think about the cocktail… It is a great one.

We are also currently having the Negroni as our featured cocktail of the week here at beefeater. Perhaps one of the easiest cocktails to make, but definitely one of the tastiest. It’s so named because it is said to have been invented by Count Camillo Negroni in Florence in 1919, when he asked a bartender to add gin to his Americano instead of soda water.