The President’s Choice Barbecued Chicken
(A recipe for President Eisenhower’s favorite barbecued chicken was published in the Feb. 2, 1958, issue of The Louisville Courier-Journal’s old Sunday magazine.)
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 1 3- to 3½-pound chicken, cut up
· 1 onion, peeled and chopped
· ½ cup celery, strings removed and chopped
· 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
· 2 tablespoons brown sugar
· ¼ cup lemon juice
· 1 cup ketchup
· 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
· ½ tablespoon yellow mustard
· Salt to taste
· Dash of red pepper flakes
In a large skillet, heat the oil. Brown the pieces of chicken, in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the skillet. When nicely browned on all sides, remove chicken, drain briefly and place in a large ovenproof casserole dish.
Add the chopped onion and celery to the oil remaining in the skillet. Cook until vegetables soften, 5 to 8 minutes. Add vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, prepared mustard and 1 cup water. Taste, and add salt to your preference. Add hot red pepper flakes to taste. Simmer the sauce 30 minutes to blend flavors.
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Pour sauce over browned chicken in the casserole dish. Cover casserole with foil, and bake for about an hour.
Serves 6 to 8.