The Worlds Best Home Made Potato Skins

The Worlds Best Home Made Potato Skins

This is another great appetizer that goes over big at parties, or just as a nice snack for the family. I love to load them up to the point where they almost become a meal themselves. Aside from baking the potatoes, they really don’t take very long and are well worth the effort.

Ingredients:

6 medium sized baking potatoes
shredded cheddar cheese
shredded Velveeta cheese
crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
diced green onions
diced red pepper
minced garlic
sour cream

Scrub the potatoes well and wrap them in aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about an hour. Allow them to come to room temperature.

Cut potatoes in half length wise and scoop out the middle, leaving about 1/4 inch of potato all around. Cook them in a fryer, a few at a time, at 375 degrees until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. If you don’t have a fryer, heat several inches of oil in a large pan until it registers 375 degrees on a candy thermometer and proceed as above. Drain on paper towels.

Place the potato skins on a baking sheet and fill them with the minced garlic, bacon, cheddar cheese, red pepper, velveeta, and green onions.
Return to the oven at 375 degrees and bake until cheese in bubbly, about 7 to 10 minutes. Serve with sour cream on the side. Please note that all ingredients are “to your liking”, so you can add as much or as little as you like. These are also excellent if you add chili to them as well.

Enjoy!

B-man :smiley:

These sound great and I agree that they could be a meal in themselves. Have you ever tried to bake the potatoes(no foil) in the microwave to cut down on the time? Since they are fried, I wouldn’t think it would matter (but I have to say there is nothing like a foil-wrapped, oven -baked spud). I am going to try them!

Thanks,
JoanieCooks

No…I haven’t tried the micro versions…just the oven. I take it everything stays the same exceot the foil…cook uncovered?

B-man