This is a signature dish at Hot Tomatoes restaurant in Hartford, Ct.
1 lb sweet sausage, loose, not in casing
1 large onion, diced small
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 quart heavy cream
4 ounces tomato sauce
1 cup grated asiago cheese
1 (10 ounce) bag spinach
6 quarts water
2 lbs tortellini
- Sauté sausage in a large saucepan until meat is brown. Break sausage up as it cooks. Remove the meat from the pan. Reserve the liquid from sausage in pan.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook the liquid out, 8-10 min over medium neat. Add the sausage back into mixture.
- Add cream and stir in until it comes to a boil. Continue cooking over a med. Flame, stirring frequently to make sure nothing sticks. Reduce the sauce by 1/3.
- Add tomato sauce and stir.
- Add the Asiago cheese and spinach and bring sauce to a simmer. Stir until blended.
- In a separate pot, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Add 2 pounds of prepared tortellini and cook. Drain tortellini and put in a serving bowl. Pour sauce of tortellini. Mix it quickly to coat the pasta and serve.