Truck Stop and Diner Recipes

OK, Open the recipe floodgates Belle and KW on another classic diner icon

I love these:
Reuben Sandwiches

There is an original classic:
Reuben Sandwich, History of Reuben Sandwich

and numerous variations

Hello All, I just happened upon this site and am so grateful I did! I want to compliment Sandman, Kitchen Witch and Southern Belle. You folks have touched on a subject very dear to my heart. The “Diner” meals. I have also found some of the best meals I have ever eaten and the true nostolgia and the atmosphere in some of these places. Sandman, it has been such a long time since I have even thought about the “juke box” in each booth. I do have a request. I see that. Red-eye gravy was mentioned and I would love to get some varieties of this. I appreciate all of the great input and friendly communications in this forum. By the way, I am in the deep south, Ms. Gulf Coast. Yes, right were Katrina came in! I do intend to add some of my seafood and plain ole country recipes I have had handed down from my Mom and Dad’s families. I hope they will be welcomed. Thanks again for this great forum and may God bless!!!

Welcome to our site, it is a very fun site and yes I am from the deep South to, I live in Alabama about as Southern as one can get. Was raised in GA and have lived through out the South most all of my life and love it a lot. Except for this hot weather.

Sure hope that you are recovering from Katrina and look forward to your posts.

If you ever need any help just give us a hollow, as we have so many good members that can help you.

Again welcome Southerner!!!

Hi Sandman,

I am not gonna get tangled up in the Reuben Sandwich. Every time I have ate one I have gotten very sick, and I do mean sick, my tummy was bummy to. I have even gotten them from fancy restaurants and diners still the same effects on me. So KW and some one else can have a go at this. Just thinking about them makes me feel ill.

So think of something else I can get involved in, but not this one!!!

You have a wonderful day----now!!!

KW…where I come from, that is called “Red Eye” gravy, lol.

Jan & KW I come from Red EYE Gravy to, Man have you got a good recipe for red eye gravy KW. YUMMY!!!

I knew I could count on you KW.
Keyboard wet from drool…LOL

I grew up in Toronto … from that description, you MUST be in upstate NY
LOL you have bad winters.
Now, I just live in the sub arctic. REALLY Cold, some snow… but not south of the lakes praise the Lord

HI Roy and a very warm welcome. I’m fairly new here too and if you like to cook like I do, you will go mental at the incredible recipes here. The people are great too, KW and Belle are an example.
My wife and I are Katrina victims too in a way. We were all set to move to Ponchatoula LA and set up our kennel of Catahoulas. We sold the house and everything in it and hit the road.
4 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 people, piled in a 1991 Aerostar Van - our “home” for almost 3 months!
In 2005 July 10 hurricane Dennis was in the gulf and a couple more were forming. By the time hurricane season ended, we ended up in Manitoba and remain here now, Thank the Lord, this really is a good place.
We used to travel to Winnfield LA every March for dog trials and we would travel the wavy / hilly interstate from Memphis to Jackson. We have a panoramic photo that we took in the middle of that highway framed on our wall. Then we’d head over to LA and to Alexandria and Winnfield

Once again, welcome to the forum.

OK all you Suthner’s, showtime!
Any southern diner and especially truck stops serves this and all do it differently.

GRITS

Bacon Grits
Cheese grits
Grits au natural
Grits and jam
Syrup n’ grits

Bubba Gump Grit Co …LOL

How about some good grit recipes.
I have either loved or hated the preparation of this Southern staple.
The quakers instant grits that we tried in TN were not bad though.

Hi Sandman…

do ya know what Georgia ice cream is??? They are so good I can et ma weight in em, LMBO to…

Got some goood recipes I’ll post later on!!!

Almost anywhere in Canada you will find this favorite, It is a Quebecois creation and consists of French Fries, Cheese and gravy.

Oh and by the way, Fries with gravy are standard fare in Canada as are fries with vinegar.

But this is Poutine

The serving dish should ideally be an old fashioned soup bowl - the ones that were as wide as a plate and shallower than a regular bowl.

Ingredients:

Crispy French Fries
Cheddar Cheese Curds
Gravy

Plate fries
Add cheese curds
Pour hot gravy over all.

The cheese will melt and blend the fries and gravy together
This is so good

Sandman’s variation

I use mozzarella.
Take a hunk of the cheese, about 1/2 lb - split in half.
Grate half and toss with the fries. Cube the other half and sprinkle over fries.
Add gravy.

Cheese Burger Smothered in Onion Gravy with Mashed potatoes or Cheese Fries and Gravy. This recipe is just something I put together myself that taste like their burgers, comes close to it to.

Burger

1 lb. Ground chuck
1 medium yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
Tabasco hot sauce to taste
A little flour
4-8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
Peanut oil for frying

Mix the first 6 ingredients together gently, add flour just until meat holds together, make 4 large patties or 6-8 small patties fry until well done. Lay the cheese on top of patties until partially melted.

Pour off most of the oil, except for a tsp. and scrape the bottom of the skillet, deglaze with red wine or beef bullion pour enough water in to make a nice gravy, add 1 small minced yellow onion, put top on skillet and cook until onions are tender, thickened with 1/4 cup water and 3 Tbsp. cornstarch stir until well blended, pour over the patties with cheese the hot gravy will melt the cheese. Make mashed potatoes of your choice, or French fries pour melted Velveeta or pepper Jack cheese over the fries as much as is needed for the amount of French fries that you have, pour some of the onion gravy over the French fries.

I have used Cajun seasoning in my burgers and gravy as well. Sprinkle Cajun seasoning on the French fries before you pour the cheese and the gravy on them.

We have had these at a Truck Stop in Texas and they were very good we also had their mashed potatoes to don know how they fixed them but they called them smashed potatoes and they were the best smashed potatoes that I have ever put in my mouth. They were sort of hot and had something crunchy in them, no it wasn’t bacon but what ever it was it was yummy. Hubbie had the fries with his so we sampled both kinds of potatoes he liked his fries and I liked my smashed potatoes.

Have gone to truck stops around here and they have never heard of the cheese burgers with gravy on them before but when we had them that was in the late 70"s. We do have them occasionally here at home still trying to figure what the crunches were.

Sandman, I really enjoy your recipes and your wit. Keep them coming. It is great, to have found this site. I enjoy cooking and really love the " ole time recipes" and the diner recipes. Also, I am glad to see that there are some of us that still give credit to “THE FOUNDER of the feast”

Sandman, Thanks for the welcome. I am very pleased with this site and its great recipes and contributors. I hope to post some of the recipes of mine and my family. But I cant remember the last time I have enjoyed the people in here. Everyone is so helpful that it actually reminds me of how people treated others, in the “good ole days”. I look forward to your future contributions. Take care and keep on posting more of the good stuff.

A true Suthun’ favorite that I experienced at a Hog Bay in Winnfield LA in 2000. This is truck stop

Ingredients

1 bowl full of Frito’s corn chips - NO SUBSTITUTIONS
Hot dog chili - a good recipe is one of the first in this thread
Cheese sauce - like the cheap nacho cheese powdered sauce that you add milk to and boil.

Cover fritos in hot dawg chili.
Cover all of that in cheese sauce

Enjoy - it is really surprisingly good

Keep cell phone handy for 911 coronary call

Well Hi Sandman glad you are back with us.

We stopped at the same truck stop in 2001 and had that same dish was it ever delicious. I have tried to duplicate it but came no where close think it was the chili and the cheese to I used Hormel chili and Velveeta cheese it was a great BIG flop.

Thank you so much for the recipe. I think I will make it tomorrow for dinner, yummy and I will keep the phone handy as I use the really hot stuff Tabasco habanero boy is it ever HOT and I do mean HOT, wow, wow, ouch!!! Better have 10 gallons of ice tea to drink with this dish. But we do like it hot!!! May be some blisters after eating this and I have had some to on my lips and the roof of my mouth.

Thanks again.

Have a wonderful night!!!

KW,

I have also been a lot of greasy spoons and truck stops and when I started (my first job) to work at Woolworth’s at 16 years old I would get had the Frito pie a lot and it was Sooo Goood I would eat it at least 3 times a week. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

Thanks for the recipe, I had never tried to duplicate the recipe either guess for one thing I had always been to busy studying and getting ready to go to Auburn University and I wasn’t married yet just enjoying my freedom, LOL, LOL.

Thanks again!!!

Hi all y’all !
I’m back I guess.
I lost my best dog, my best friend,
Jim Dandy was his name, and he was a Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog
I have 3 more of them, … but none are as he was.
Most of me made it I suppose,
Most of me came out the other side.
This was a devastating loss and I’ll never be the same again
Anyways, the holidays are here and I have 3 more Catahoulas to spoil with Christmas goodies
Let’s cook friends.
We are given the gift of BOUNTY, of FOOD, and now, in order to celebrate the birth of our savior, let’s get it on … and share the joy with us all.
God bless you all and MERRY CHRISTMAS foodies!

Hi Sandman,
I lost my golden cocker after 17years,to this day I have never forgot him and that was 20years ago.The hurt does fade and the good times come to the front of your memory.Hang in there and hang on to the fun times.