Truck Stop and Diner Recipes

Hi, Ya’ll!

I was searching to see what other recipe forums I might find online and came across this site by accident. When I opened the Recipe Forum thread, I found this one looked interesting and read it.

I have never eaten at a Truck Stop. We did not travel that often when I grew up but when we did, we took picnic lunches to eat at roadside parks. Of course, they are a thing of the past now. We ate supper at a resturant near the motel. Fast food places were non existent.

I was raised on a farm where each Thanksgiving if it was cold enough, our family was killing hogs. My sister and I worked up the sausage in a large black kettle on the back porch. We were up to our armpits in grease. I always was a tom boy so I JUST HAD to be outside with Daddy and cut up the meat.

My job was cutting fat that had been trimmed away to make the hams, etc. lean, into small pieces to be rendered into lard. I loved to eat the hot cracklings when they have been pressed and cooled down some. They were so crispy!!!

We always had pigs feet, tenderloin, liver stew, midlins, backbone, ribs and such for lunch with sweet potatoes baked. The big treat was after we had worked up the sausage and Mother would fry some for us to taste. Of course, it was really for Daddy to make sure the seasoning was to his satisfaction but we got in on the eats!! :wink:

Mother made souse, canned sausage and tenderloin. Daddy took care of the meat in the smokehouse. He had to tend the fire, salt the meat down and put it in the salt box, and later remove the hams and shoulders to rub them down with seasoning and bag them in the big heavy brown bags. the sausage, hams, shoulders (sometimes he would save some out and not smoke them), sausage , bacon and fat meat were smoked. The smoking preserved the meat. It was bagged so skippers would not bore into the meat. The pork chops and some of the sausage were taken to the Locker for storage in the large freezers. Mother canned some sausage patties and the tenderloin. My mouth is watering.

You wrote about red eye gravy. My Mama made the best I ever ate!!! Over biscuits, oh, boy! That is lip smacking good folks. Scrambled eggs, fried ham, red eye gravy and hot HOMEMADE bisuits.

There is a man about four or five miles from me who still makes the old fashion sausage. He smokes some both mild and heavy. He also has it seasoned both mild and fresh. I will be getting am order for a friend in Boston to pick up Christmas Eve on his way to KY. He takes a years supply home with him.

Before I forget, I apologize for bird walking off the subject, here is my Cheese Grit Recipe. We don’t have a Thanksgiving or Christmas diner that this is not on the table. I have had to make more of this dish for visitors to take home when them after having it at our table.

Yes, I will have it at Christmas. I will also have to have it daily for my sister who will be here visiting for two weeks. It is better the next day after it seasons. You can make it ahead and just not do the oven baking until ready to serve if you like. Make sure it is moist though and doesn’t get dry in the frig.

Thanks for letting me add to your diners thread. I have not read any others but I sure hope they are as nice as ya’ll are.

BTW, when I was at UT in Knoxville for college, there was a T Room Diner ina a trailer like building on Cumberland Ave by my dorm. It had all grilled food. What do I remember best? Their pecan pie warmed on the grill served with a scoop of ice cream. I am sure they had other food too but that is what I remember that I ate.

May each of you experience the blessings of the Christmas season.

Ladybug in TN

Garlic Cheese Grits

(I sometmes use two tubes of garlic cheese because we like it cheesy. I also sometimes add garlic buds or juice to it. We like garlic, too.)

Ingredients:

4 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt (garlic salt, if desired)
1 cup cheese, grated (garlic cheese is great) I use garlic cheese. It is in a roll made by Kraft in the dairy products with cheeses. IT IS USUALLY IN A SMALL BOX OF ROLLS/TUBES.
1 cup grits (The kind that comes in the bag.0
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 stick-melted butter I use less than 1 stick. Probably ¾ stick.

Directions:
Spray the casserole dish with Pam or whatever before baking to keep it from sticking and washing easier.

Bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in grits and cook slowly for 15-20 minutes. Stirring frequently. Then add cheese, blending thoroughly. Beat eggs with milk and stir in butter. Add to grits and cheese. Stir constantly so it does not stick. Place in casserole and bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Christmas Blessings

Mr. Sandman,

Just read online about your dog’s breed. Very interesting as i had never heard of these Catahoulas.

Wanted to let you know that I, too, know the grief you have felt. Last Christmas, I was surprised with a new fur baby, Bradley a wire hair terrier. He is on my lap as I type. My shadow, my companion and my purpose to get out of bed. He is my baby.

He has a website and you will meet his brother, Raleigh, my son’s dog. You will read about Roamie, also.

God bless and I know that the fields are a playground for our beloved pets in heaven. I don’t worry because my Dad is there to take care of them all and love them.

In Him,
Ladybug

Dog profile for “Bradley” Tolleson Williams, a male Wire Fox Terrier A link to Roamie and Raleigh’s pages are found on this page.

Hi Nascarladybug so nice tohear from you and I did live on a small farm and oh how I remember the days of hog slaughters I to liked the warm cracklings oh yum. We had fruit orchards apples, pears and grapes plus a big veggie garden.

Thank you for your cheese grits recipe I love grits any way you fix them as I am from the deep south Georgia, Alabama we call them “Georgia Ice Cream” here. My daddy did the ham thing to and every aspect of the hogs my mother and I made the sausage to we had pork fixed many ways to and had a big salt house and big food locker.

I also am a really BIG Nascar fan and would not miss a race for anything in the world now I am going into a withdrawal from no Nascar which do you like the best, Nascar Nextel or the Bush Nascar and who is your favorite driver(s)? I do not like the truck series either. I will sure be glad when February comes then some good Ole Nascar races I love them. My favorite driver is Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson, Dale Earnheardt, Jr.

So nice talking to you and I will try your cheese grits recipe I love a a lot of garlic to I used crushed fresh garlic has more flavor to.

Welcome to our nice site and I really hope that you will like it as much as we do.

SB2067

I don’t know what I did wrong but the private email I replied to SB with showed up here. Sorry. I have removed it.
NL

Hi NascarLady Bug , Belle and KW. Thanks for the warm wishes
I am having a terrible time logging in with errors in the new videos,
Adobe flash player 9 script errors. I have a very old computer and I am trying a few things to get past this. I hope to be active in posting again soon

Mr. Sandman, Thank you for your kind reply. I wish you the best for the New Year.

Guess what I have now… another wire hair fox terrier. My sister fell here during Christmas and when she was able to go back home, she left the puppy here and took her westie with her. She is having to now have knee surgery so I get to train Asta. He is a hand full and I am absolutely worn out these days. Taking care of her for several weeks and four dogs, referreeing dogfights as the oldest of our dogs does not take a hankering to Asta’s antics and cooking. I had planned to do a lot more cooking than what I did but I cooked. Beleive me, I cooked!!!

I thought I had canceled my account here but see by getting this that I haven’t I am glad I had the opportunity to reply to you, Mr. Sandman.

God Bless,
Ladybug

I am going to try to insert a picture of Asta and Bradley

Hi sandman so glad to hear from you and I do hope that you get your problem resolved with you computer about 5 years ago I had to get a new computer now it works like a charm.

Hope that you will be back soon with us.

May God bless you and yours,

Belle

Hi nascarladybug,

So glad that you are back on this wonderful site now stay put please.

Your friend,

Belle

i’m looking for the marinade that cracker barrell uses on their steaks if anyone could help
thanks john
johnl67@pennyrile.net

Hello dear friends.
I have been gone for a while and now I’m back
I really must revive this one
I am sorry as can be to the sprout eating tofu crowd,
but no human being should go through life without having one of these.
It is not 5 diamond, not even 5 gravel chunks, but it is just so much fun

Greetings to all!
I’m new to the forum, but as a mom of 4 & grandma of 3, I’m certainly not new to cooking. Since my family roots are Texan & Oklahoman and I’ve lived my entire adult life in small-town Arizona, I have my share of diner/dive recipes to share.
While Sandman’s Texas Twisters sound great, I am one of those older folk who can’t handle quite that much fat. Over the years my kids and I have adapted a similar recipe from one I learned in Jr. High Home Ec. Original recipe called for same cheese filled, bacon wrapped dogs to be baked at 350 for 25 - 30 min. on a foil lined cookie sheet. We found we get a tasty crisp dog by using a cast iron grill pan and pump up the heat to 450-500 for just 10 - 15 min. & be sure to preheat the grill pan w/ no grease needed as bacon and hotdogs won’t stick to a good hot cast iron pan. This is still a good greasy sin, but sticks around a bit longer for those of us with “Old People Gut”.
We also like to add thin slices of sweet onion atop the cheese before wrapping in bacon.
This also works great on the backyard grill or campfire!
zoot

I just wanted to thank you all for these awesome recipes. I know I will be trying a few this week!

This is an awesome thread!

I know that people will be travelling on summer vacations even though the price of gas is going through the roof. Up here in the great white north, we are paying about $4.90 per US gallon and they predict that it will be up to about $5.30 by mid summer! Vacation time is our chance to coax a few good recipes out of those truck stop and diner chefs! Keep it in mind on your travels so we can share our discoveries!

Welcome to the forum!
Yours sound as good as the twisters and I like the additition of sweet onion.
I’m looking forward to seeing more of your recipes.

Morning
How are you doing ?
abonnement praemie
spiegel abonnement
mein Hoerzu Abonnement
Bravo Abonnement
Die Welt abonnement
abonnement Sport Bild
Eltern abonnement
Die Zeit Abonnement
Zeitung- Abonnement
Stern-abonnement
He really said it !!

Adria

Yeah, I think you did kick up something but, that something sure is good. I also have some very fond memories of those diner,s. Great job man, keep up the good work!

Hi hurricanroy,

Sure have missed you on this site and FP hope that you are back for good this time.

Yes Sandman sure has done a great job on the Diners hasn’t he and I have sure had my share of them some of them good some not so good.

So good to see you on site again!!!

SB:D:D:D:o:o:o

Growing up in Philladelphia, Pat’s, Geno’s & Jims steaks didn’t exist. They somehow got taged with the “Original Phiily Cheese Steak” but they were made at home and in the Pizza joints long before P,G & J came along.

We NEVER used Wiz - The local butcher would simi-freeze Sirloin Tip and slice it to 1/16 inch thick - The closest thing that a retail store carries is from the Landis Brand from Maid-Riteoriginally from Quakertown PA.

Our recipie was simular

Steak Meat from the butcher
Veg oil to coat surface of pan
Onions for frying (and some raw) cooked till lightly brown in separate vessel
Amoroso’s Italian Rolls
S & P to taste
American Cheese (melted while frying
Jam it into the roll and enjoy -
Add Lettuce, tomato,raw onion, and some Italian spices and you have a Steak-Hoagie (in Philly they are not Subs)

The best tasting sandwich is made from the fresh frozen beef :wink:
BTW - NEVER EVER use the chopped and formed meats that say Philly Steaks

Anyone have a good cornmeal Pogo batter recipe?

Maine Baked Beans
Compliments of Dysart’s Truckstop and Restaurant

Ingredients:

1 quart Maine Yellow Eye Beans
1 large onion
1/4 lbs salt pork
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 Cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp ground mustard
1/2 Cup molasses
1 tsp salt

Directions:

Soak beans overnight.

Add the rest of the ingredients the next morning.

Bake at 350 degrees all day.

Make sure to add water while they are cooking.

Nothing is better than a hearty dish of beans with breakfast. Great with Brown Bread too!

Up in Maine my grandfather-in-law used to eat these with cole slaw and brown for “supper”