1/2 pound (250 grams – 8.9 oz) chufa nuts
1 quart (liter) of water
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
1 tsp grated lemon peel (optional)
About 1 cup of sugar (try less the first time - you can always add more!)
- Soak the chufa nuts in water for 24 hours.
- In a blender, grind the nuts, water, cinnamon, sugar and lemon until you have an even, smooth mixture.
- Let it settle for a half an hour.
- Press the paste through a strainer to obtain fresh horchata.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Finish in the freezer for 20 minutes until slightly slushy.