US to UK equivalents

I want to make some of the many cookies by KitchenWitch and as this is a predominantly American site, I am finding some of the ingredients a tad strange. I am sure we have a British alternative or different name for most…so could anyone help me with the following.

Baking soda (could this be bicarbonate of soda)

Crisco

Cake flour

Corn syrup

Many thanks RR

Hi Rocky -

Baking soda (could this be bicarbonate of soda) - correct

Crisco - vegetable shortening - in some recipes butter can be substituted - depending on the recipe

Cake flour - finer than all purpose - you can make your own:
To make cake flour out of regular flour:

2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Fill rest of cup with all purpose flour and sift 12 times.

Corn syrup - golden syrup or cane syrup - or make it yourself:
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
Dash of salt

In a heavy 2 1/2 quart saucepan, combine all ingredients over medium heat.

Stir till mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover pan and cook 3 minutes, just to reduce crystal build-up on sides of pan. Uncover and cook, stirring often to “soft ball stage” or when you drop a little from a spoon into a glass of cold water and it drops to bottom of water in a soft ball. Cool the syrup completely and store in covered container at room temperature to be used within 2 months. Makes about 2 cups.

I hope this helps!

KW

BTW - here’s a substitution for shortening:

Shortening, for baking makes (1 cup)
1 cup minus 2 Tbsp. lard
and 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Thnak you very much Kitchen Witch, I am wondering if you’re cake flour is what we would call Self Raising. Will use your method just incase not. All the other ingredients are available.

Thanks again, RR

self rising flour is different than cake flour -

There are basically 4 types of wheat flours used in a professional bakeshop. They range from “soft” weak flours to “hard” strong flours. They are classified as “Cake, Pastry, Bread and High-Gluten Flours”.

Cake Flour - is used to make cakes, because of its delicate gluten (protein) structure.

Pastry Flour - has a little more structure (protein), and can be used to make pie dough, biscuits, muffins, cookies, and tart dough.

All-Purpose Flour - Not traditionally found in a bakeshops.

Bread Flour - a stronger gluten structure. Used to make white pan bread, rolls, hamburger buns, etc.

High-Gluten Flour - the strongest of all white flours. Used in making chewy bagels, pizza, hard crusted breads, etc.

Self-rising flour is all-purpose flour with salt and leavening:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Combine and use in place of 1 cup of self-rising flour.

for self-rising cake flour - use the recipe as listed in the previous post and add
an additional teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Hope I didn’t confuse you.

KW

According to the Oxford University Press dictionary Cake flour is the North American term for plain flour.

Another thing for Brits to keep in mind is that the US cup is 8 fluid ounces, not 10 as is in the UK.

Oxford will ruin a recipe - there is a difference between all-purpose, bread, and cake flours.

Many thanks, I promise not to refer to Oxford dictionary for American recipes lol. Many different types of flour, I will have to careful when baking, actually think I’ll print out your answers KW. Thanks lvd, fortunately I found a little utensil which has lots of spoons on and they are measured in the American cup way.

rocky - if you go to the forum Cooking Tips you can type in flour, measurements, or anything you have a question on in the search this forum/thread and you will find tons of information that may help you.