4 14 1/2 oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 medium onions, chopped
2 C chopped green peppers
2 tsp. garlic powder
6 Tbsp. chili powder
4 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
1 cube (1 tsp.) chipotle pepper seasoning (optional)

Combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours.

I changed all the beans to black beans simply because those are about the only beans my husband likes (and I prefer them also). I also doubled the amount of spices and removed the brown sugar. I did that because I goofed up when I made it and cut the beans, meat and tomatoes in half and forgot to cut all the spices. But, as it turned out, we loved it that way, so I have kept making it the same way. As for the sugar, once again, I inadvertently left it out that first time. I tried it once with the sugar included and just didn’t like the sweet undertone as much as the spicy version. I always add either a chipotle pepper cube or cayenne pepper because we all prefer our chili more spicy than average (including our 20-month old). I also sometimes use red bell peppers or a stoplight blend of bell peppers for a change of pace.

That sounds delish, I often add corn to my veggie chilli aswell, I think it gives it a nice bite!

This recipe is adapted (to make it less work, of course) from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, a cookbook I will soon review. This dish is a nice one for company, since it doesn’t include any “weird vegetarian foods”.

Three Bean Chili

1 large onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper (color of choice), chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (or from a jar)

Cook these in 1 Tbsp olive oil until softened. Alternately, you can add these to the crockpot uncooked, as long as you cook it at least 8 hours, and don’t mind a little crunch to the veggies in your chili.

Place veggies, from above, and the following in your crock-pot:

One can (15.5 oz) each black beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans*
One 28 oz crushed tomatoes
One small can tomato paste
Chili powder, as desired (1 Tbsp is standard, but we use about 3 Tbsp)
1 cup water (you can add more later if it seems too thick)
fresh ground pepper** to taste

Stir. Cook for 6 - 8 hours.

During the last 30 - 45 minutes, mix up and cook cornbread muffins from a package, adding in 1/2 cup of thawed frozen corn kernels (or one of those small cans, well-drained).

You can add a healthy side salad if you are extra ambitious!

• Rinse beans well to remove some of the salt and much of the gas-causing sugars.

** This is where I draw the line - no one should be so lazy that they don’t use fresh-ground salt and pepper! A quick trip to any home store and you can buy your own grinders, already loaded with peppercorns and sea salt.

There can be any variations to the recipe you have listed. I wonder if the recipe still tastes equally good without black beans. Pretty expensive at many places.