Waffle House Hash Browns

4 cups shredded potatoes, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
water
1 cup ice
vegetable oil, for frying

Place potatoes in a 2-quart bowl and add salt. Pour ice and add water to cover potatoes, and stir to mix salt and ice in the potatoes. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Then, place shredded potatoes in a colander and rinse with cool tap water; drain completely.

To prepare, heat a large skillet (cast iron preferred) on medium heat; add enough vegetable oil to lightly cover bottom.

When skillet is hot place drained shredded potatoes in skillet. Fry until crisp, about 12-15 minutes without turning.

Once golden, flip carefully and fry 2-3 additional minutes. Do not cover or stir hash browns while frying.

Serves 2-4

Super simple way to make hash browns. You definitely need to soak them in the ice water to rinse out the starches. I love to top my hash browns with Sriracha sauce to give it a spicy zip.

I love Waffle House Hash Browns. Thanks for this recipe.

Good way to make them at home although Waffle House hash browns are actually made from re-hydrated shredded hash browns that come in gallon containers. Of course, even at home you can make them scattered, smothered, covered, diced, chunked…topped. (onions, cheese, tomatoes, ham, chili) :lol:

For a long time I could not find its perfect recipe. But I tried your recipe and I found it amazing. Thank you for this recipe.

We are glad you have joined and enjoying RSN.

1 Like

Thank You @pickman and I really enjoy this.