Wanted: thin sweet pizza dough recipe

It has No Yeast!!!
There is a restaurant near us called Jioio’s Pizza. The pizza dough has 4 ingredients on the label: sugar, fat, salt & flour.
I bought dough from someone at a farmer’s market that knew the secret recipe & they said they found it in an amish cookbook but it matches the restaurants exactly… sounds simple enough but they added one comment: the way you have to make it is strange & that is the secret. Now how it is mixed or made that you would describe as strange…what could they possibly mean?? Anyone have any ideas about this dough recipe? It is very, very thin, crispy & sweet… no yeast. Has a taste similiar to a thin croissant. The fat sure tastes like butter but I can’t imagine it could be? Any suggestions?

try this -

2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 c. water
1/4 c. vegetable oil

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
2.Blend together ingredients, and then roll out the dough in your usual manner.

I have tried to duplicate this recipe for years. I grew up in Latrobe, and now live in North Carolina, so I only get to eat it once or twice a year.

Sometimes I feel like I am very close, but there still seems to be something missing.

I do not think their recipe calls for sugar, but I do think there is honey in it, giving it’s sweet taste.

In reference to the strange way you have to make it, I have seen some people suggest a combination of cold and hot processing of the dough, and I don’t know what that could refer to, other than perhaps the fat that might be used…defintiely not a yeast crust, so I don’t hink it could refer to any kind of rising effect. I always thought they used at least part of the fat with crisco, giving it a flaky texture, but it can’t be all crisco…otherwise if you reheated Jioios, you would get a crispier crust…and you don’t.

I can’t believe no one out there knows how to make this…it seems to be the best kept secret since the Coke recipe.

Could it be a really wet dough, like a no-knead dough? From the ingredients it appears to be an unleavened flat bread.

There is a pourable pizza crust recipe used by school cafeterias. You pour it into sheetpans like a pancake batter. It does use some yeast, but you probably could adapt the techniques in this recipe to your ingredients.

USDA School Cafeteria Pourable Pizza Crust ( used since 1988 )

Makes 1 half-sheetpan (13" x 18" x 1")

Makes 10 servings

For best results, have all ingredients and utensils at room temperature.

1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast active dry yeast
2 2/3 cups (11.25 oz) Enriched all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (1.85 oz) Instant nonfat dry milk
2 1/2 Tablespoons (1 oz) Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1 1/4 teaspoons Vegetable oil
1 2/3 cups Water, warm (130° F)
2 Tablespoons (1/2 oz) Cornmeal

Preheat oven to 475° F.

1. Mix dry yeast, flour, dry milk, sugar, and salt together.

2. Add oil to dry mixture mix for 4 minutes on low speed.

3. Add water to dry ingredients. Mix for 10 minutes on medium speed.
    Batter will be lumpy.

4. For 10 servings, lightly coat 1 half-sheet pan (13" x 18" x 1") with pan release spray.
    Sprinkle half-sheet pan with 1/2 oz (approximately 2 Tbsp) cornmeal.

5. Pour or spread 1 lb 11 1/2 oz (1 qt 1/2 cup) into each half-sheet pan.
    Let stand for 20 minutes

6. Prebake until crust is set:
    Conventional oven: 475° F for 10 minutes
    Convection oven: 425° F for 7 minutes

7. Top each prebaked crust with desired topping.

8. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted:
    Conventional oven: 475° F for 10-15 minutes
    Convection oven: 425° F for 5 minutes

9. Portion by cutting each half-sheet pan 2 x 5 (10 pieces per pan).

SERVING:
1 piece provides 2 servings of grains/breads.

YIELD: about 1 lb 11 1/2 oz

Special Tip:
To use high-activity (instant) yeast, follow manufacturer’s instructions.

here’s a recipe with honey -

1 package active dry or fresh yeast
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup warm water, 105 to 115 degrees F
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and honey in 1/4 cup warm water.
Large bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Add the oil, the yeast mixture, and the remaining 3/4 cup of water.
Mix until the entire mixture forms a ball.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
Knead by hand 2 or 3 minutes. The dough should be smooth and firm.
Cover the dough with a clean, damp towel and let it rise in a cool spot for about 2 hours. (When ready, the dough will stretch as it is lightly pulled).
Divide the dough into 2 balls. *Alternatively you could divide into 4 balls to make into 4 pizzas, about 6 ounces each, to make 8 inch pizzas.
Work each ball by pulling down the sides and tucking under the bottom of the ball. Repeat 4 or 5 times. Then on a smooth, unfloured surface, roll the ball under the palm of your hand until the top of the dough is smooth and firm, about 1 minutes. Cover the dough with a damp towel and let rest 1 hour. *At this point, the balls can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Preheat oven to 500 F or highest temp. Lightly oil cookie sheet with extra-virgin olive oil. Roll out dough ball, on a lightly floured surface, to the shape of your cookie sheet. Carefully transfer dough to cookie sheet, lightly press and stretch out to the edges of sheet.
Add sauce (not too much) and toppings. Start with sauce, then cheese, veggies and meat.

I was googling and noticed that someone posted a desire to find the recipe for Jioio’s Pizza. I want to clue you in so as to help you out. None of the replies you have received are correct, or for that matter not even close. I know this for a fact.

I was googling and noticed that someone posted a desire to find the recipe for Jioio’s Pizza. I want to clue you in so as to help you out. None of the replies you have received are correct, or for that matter not even close. I know this for a fact.

If you know it for a fact you must know the real recipe. Why not post it?

This has happened so many times before - there is always someone who knows it all, has a relative or friend that worked there, and yada, yada.

I don’t pay any attention to any of them.

There are so many commercially made mixes that can be purchased by bakeries and also there is the flash-frozen doughs (I know from a bakery I worked in) that places purchase that it is almost impossible to duplicate a recipe.

The days of the little old grandmother in the back room kneading dough are over -

at least there are recipes being shared to try to help someone looking for it.

And in all honesty - you can give some people the absoloute EXACT recipe used by a restaurant/pizzeria and they will do something to it to make it fail anyway.

I DO know the exact recipe which is made in quantity. The reason I do not post it is simple. If I did, it would not be secret. I am simply amused at the different ways in which other people describe their versions of the real deal.

I did not post a recipe, I simply said the others are incorrect. I do know the recipe. I hear so many others claim to have the recipe and I am constantly amused at the combinations people come up with.

I would like to let you know that you are incorrect when you state that the days of the homemade dough are over. They are alive and well, most in single point restaurants and most by close knit family run operations. Sorry you are so jaded, but that’s your issue.

Does this give you some sort of feeling of superiority? The point of this site is to share “secret recipes”. Check out the name of the site.

No it doesn’t, I stumbled across this site when googling the restaurants name. I thought I was helping by at least telling the person who asked the question that the replies were wrong.

Merely telling someone that information is incorrect when you claim you have the correct information is not being helpful.

Skillet Tortilla Pizza Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutesCook time: 5 minutes
Add to shopping list
INGREDIENTS
Flour tortillas (about 8-inches diameter)
Grated mozzarella cheese
Tomato sauce
Fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
METHOD
1 Heat a large cast iron skillet or griddle on medium high to high heat. Place a flour tortilla in the center of the skillet. When the tortillas begins to puff up or form air bubbles, flip it and turn the heat down to medium low. Pierce the air bubbles with a knife tip or the tines of a fork to deflate them a bit.

2 Sprinkle the top of the tortilla with a thin layer of grated mozzarella cheese. Once the cheese is about half-way melted, spoon on a thin layer of tomato sauce, using the back of the spoon to spread over the cheese. Sprinkle the top of the tomato sauce with a little more cheese.
3 Once the edges of the tortilla are browning, indicating that the bottom of the tortilla is getting nice and brown, remove the pan from the heat. Cover the top of the pan with a cover for about a minute or so, so the cheese on top can melt with the residual heat from the pan.
4 Sprinkle with fresh sliced basil. Remove to a plate and cut with a pizza cutting wheel or sharp knife.
Serve immediately. try this.

Hi!

I have eaten at Jioio’s many times and this is the closest that I can get the recipe (for the crust) when I make it. I hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

5 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup ICE COLD water
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp salt

Mix all together - knead a bit, adding flour if necessary. Roll thinly on greased baking sheets. Bake at 450 till golden and then top with sauce, etc and bake again.

I don’t know if this is “the” recipe. . . . but it’s close enough! Thank you.

I have the actual recipe. I made the dough at jioio’s for years… The ones posted are so far off it’s actually amusing.

Not even close.

another know-it-all!

you know what is amusing? people like you - and you haven’t got a clue yourself as to what the recipe is…