What am I doing wrong??? Fudge

Ok… I have attmepted this 5 times with it coming out only once really…

I am attempting to make fudge using ar recipe I got from my moms old reader digest cookbook…

it calls for 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, 1 can condensed milk, 4 1/2 oz semisweet chocolate

put the sugar and water in a heavy bottomed 3 qrt. pan and dissolve the sugar over low heat. Bring to boil, add the condensed milk, and boil gently until the candy thermometer registers 240. Stir occasionaly to prevent sticking. Remove the pan from the head and add the chocolate. Beat the misture until thinck using a wooden spoon…

OK here is what’s happening…

first I used my standard reverveware pan, then I used a corningware visions pan, then I finally went out and bought a good Chef Emeril pan…

with each of the first two pans it would boil over so then I tried to keep it from boiling over I have to keep the heat very very low, but the problem with that is that it will get to 200, 210 and wont get any hotter. It will sit there boiling away until it becomes darker and then almost gooey before I even add the chocolate. What I have tried to do then is turn the heat up a tiny bit to help it reach the required temp but then the botton will scorch and end up with brown burnt pieces in the mix. a couple times I have said forget it and but the chocolate in before it reaches the proper temp but then I just get paste… WHAT am I doing wrong??? How long should it take to get to 240? because I swear it will sit there for an hour and the temp wont move…

It can’t be my pan anymore because I really do have a good one now… is it my recipe???

I am at wits end :evil:

it could just be the recipe - the boiling over - the pan is too small - not reaching temp? needs more heat -

no thermometer needed:

1 lb. box confectioners’ sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
1/4 t. salt
6 T. butter
1/4 c. milk
1 T. vanilla
1 c. chopped nuts

Combine all ingredients except nuts in top of double boiler. Place over simmering water and stir until smooth. Add nuts. Spread candy quickly into a buttered 9-inch pan.
Chill, cut into squares and serve.

Fantasy Fudge - this is a good recipe!

3 sticks margarine or butter
6 c. sugar
1 can (13 oz.) evaporated milk
2 pkgs. (12 oz. each) semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1 jar (13 oz.) marshmallow creme
2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
2 t. vanilla

Mix butter, sugar, and milk in heavy saucepan. Bring to FULL boil over medium-high heat stirring constantly. HINT: if you use a good non-stick pan you don’t have to stir as much. Boil for 5 minutes or until candy thermometer reaches 234* F. (soft ball stage).
Remove from heat and add chocolate chips, marshmallow creme, vanilla, and nuts. Stir until chips and marshmallow creme is melted. HINT: to make the mixing easier, put the chocolate and marshmallow creme in a double boiler over low heat while the butter, sugar and milk is cooking. This allows for easier and faster mixing. Immediately pour into prepared pan. I use a nonstick jellyroll pan. Allow to cool before cutting.

FOR PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE: *Substitute the same amount of Peanut Butter for the chocolate. Makes about 6 lbs. of fudge.

3 (6 ounce) pkg. semi-sweet -chocolate chips (3 cups)
1 (14-ounce) can Sweetened condensed milk
1 ds Salt
1/2 To 1 cup chopped nuts
1 1/2 ts Vanilla extract

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chips with condensed milk, and salt. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread evenly into a wax paper lined 8 or 9" square pan. Chill 2 hours or until firm. Turn fudge onto cutting board and cut into squares.

MICROWAVE FUDGE instructions: In 1 quart glass measure, combine chips with condensed milk and salt. Cook on 100% power (high) 3 minutes or until chips melt, stirring after each 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in remaining recipe ingredients. Proceed as above.

My pan is 4 qts so I know it cant’ be that… thanks for the new recipes however I don’t have a double boiler and since I just spent money on a new pan I just can’t justify doing it for a double boiler… I think it’s just better if I quit while I’m ahead… but thanks anyways…

You don’t need an “actual” double boiler - I don’t have one either. I use a stainless steel pan over a pot of water. No problem. Use a pan over a pan - it’s easy to improvise with this one.

You can also use a stainless steel mixing bowl for the top part of a double boiler. This is what I do when I need one, which isn’t very often.