what can I substitute for Bread?

I think gluten may not agree with me but I can’t imagine getting by without Bread! Any suggestions of a Bread substitute? The only ones I have come across so far involve buying an expensive air dryer device. Any tips or recipes?
Does corn contain gluten? maybe I could make some sort of cornbread

ok did a bit of thinking and looking around - came across these tips so far

use
rice cakes
potato waffles
rice tortillas

also try making my own tortillas from
almond meal
coconut flour
rice flour
Quinoa flour
sorgrum flour
tapioca flour
corn flour
cauliflour tortillas !! here is the video on youtube

Anyone tried any of these?

Gluten Free Sandwich Bread

1 Tbsp. bread machine yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
12 oz. water (1.5 c) (105 degrees or a little less than hot)

11 oz. (approx 2.5 c) GFCS’gluten free flour mix
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt

3 eggs (or 9 Tbsp. water and 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed)
1 ½ Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. cider vinegar

Instructions

1. Start by combining the yeast and sugar in a small bowl (I use the smallest in my set of three nested mixing bowls). Add the water while gently stirring the yeast and sugar. Let this mixture sit while you mix the rest of the ingredients – bubbles and foam should form if the yeast is happy.

2. Combine the flour mix, xanthan gum and salt in the largest mixing bowl and stir well.

3. In a third bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and vinegar until the eggs are a bit frothy.

4. By this point the yeast mixture should be foamy, so you can pour the two liquid mixtures into the flour mixture. Blend the dough with a mixer for 4 minutes.

Bread Machine Directions:

Scoop your dough into the bread machine and smooth the top of the dough. I bake my bread using an 80 minute setting that allows for 20 minutes of kneading, 18 minutes of rise, and 42 minutes of baking. However, since I don’t use the paddle in by bread machine, I’m effectively doing a 38 minute rise and a 42 minute bake. (The advantage of not using the paddle is that you don’t end up with a hole in the bottom of your bread.)

Conventional Oven Directions:

Scoop the dough into a greased loaf pan. Allow the dough to rise in a warm area until is is about 1 inch from the top of the pan. Then bake at 375 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes.

Soft Gluten Free Flour Tortillas

Yield: Makes five 6-inch tortillas.

3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch + more for dusting
1/4 cup cornstarch (or more potato starch for corn-free)
1 teaspoon guar or xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/8 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 Tablespoon honey
3 Tablespoons buttermilk* (or 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar* + enough milk to make 1/4 cup) (gluten free rice milk for dairy-free/vegan)
3 Tablespoons cooking oil
1 large egg, beaten

To a bowl, add the dry ingredients, whisk thoroughly, and set it aside.
In a larger bowl, dissolve the honey in the warm water; add the buttermilk, oil, and beaten eggs; and whisk well.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; and using a rubber spatula, stir them until the dough reaches the consistency of creamy mashed potatoes. Allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes to prevent the rice flour from creating a gritty texture.
Once the dough is just about ready, preheat a heavy skillet, preferably made of cast iron, over medium heat.
Scatter at least 2 tablespoons of potato starch to a clean, flat surface; scoop 1/4 cup of dough at a time and add it to the floured surface. Knead the dough with dusted hands, adding additional potato starch as needed. Shape the dough into a disk shape as wide as your spatula. Using your spatula (a pizza spatula works well), transfer the dough disk to the preheated skillet.
Using your fingers or a pastry roller, immediately flatten and distribute the dough within the pan, working from the center, moving outwards. _Be careful not to burn your forearm on the pan. Then using the back of flat spatula push it down to even it out.
Fry each tortilla on each side for approximately 2 minutes.
Repeat with remaining dough adding additional potato starch as needed. Allow them to cool and store in a ziplocked bag in the refrigerator for as long as the expiration date on your buttermilk container states. They are best served once they are reheated in the microwave at a low temperature or steamed for a short period in colander over simmering water.
Store unused tortillas in the freezer as refrigeration dries food out.

Thanks, I think I will try the Gluten Free Flour Tortillas, I might leave aside wheat flour altogether for a while :slight_smile:

did your doctor tell you to go gluten-free? I hope you were checked by your physician first.