What is a Chicken Tender?

Hello and Good afternoon:

This may sound silly, but where I live there’s no such thing as a “chicken tender”. I asked a relative who once lived in the USA for a short while and she didn’t know either. She guessed maybe a ‘Chicken Breaded Nugget… something like McDonald’s serves?’ To me, that doesn’t make sense in recipes, as it often says to fry or poach or to bread them. Or is it a speciality product: like something from a Rock Cornish Hen?:

Kari, anyplace that has chickens has chicken tenders.

Hi Kari, the chicken tenderloin is the tissue found alongside the keel bone of a whole chicken breast. The keel bone is the center bone with the cartilage. Underneath each half of breast, nestled alongside the bone is a tapering tube of meat that usually sticks to the bone if the breast meat is pulled off (to make a boneless chicken breast). To keep the tenderloin with the rest of the breast, it’s necessary to cut or scrape the tenderloin off the bone. But because the meat is delicate (“tender”), this requires attention and a bit of effort.

Before chickens were disjointed by machines, these “tenders” were usually discarded by butchers along with the bone because of the labor of extricating them. But people who disjointed whole chickens in their own kitchens prized tenderloins as a homey “cook’s treat” for being especially tender and quick to cook, while the rest of the meal was in progress.

As others have stated, the tenderloin is often faked by slicing sticks or “fingers” of boneless chicken breast and calling them “tenders”.

HTH

How it is made?

Also the ‘Chicken Tender’ which is cooked from Chicken’s brest, contains more protein. Skinned Chicken Tender, contains fat and bad cholesterol.

I hope my point also helps…

Chicken tenders are actually parts of a chicken. They are the little strips of meat that are tenuously attached to the underside of each breast (and thus sometimes called “hanging tenders”), so every chicken has two tenders. In fact, you can gently pull the tenders, which are about 1 1/2 inches wide and 5 inches long, off with just your hands! This cut of chicken is similar in location to beef and pork tenderloins.

Chicken tenders are actually parts of a chicken. They are the little strips of meat that are tenuously attached to the underside of each breast (and thus sometimes called “hanging tenders”), so every chicken has two tenders. In fact, you can gently pull the tenders, which are about 1 1/2 inches wide and 5 inches long, off with just your hands! This cut of chicken is similar in location to beef and pork tenderloins.

How it is made?

Yes, Maxy’s right. Actual “Chicken tenders” are technically the small muscle under the larger portion of the chicken breast; right next to the ribs. Each chicken has two. They are narrow, long and quite small. As far as recipes go, when you see a recipe with “chicken tenders” in the title, read the recipe. Some recipes use chicken breast meat cut into smaller chunks. Others use the actual chicken tender. You will be able to tell by the ingredients. When you buy “chicken tenders” in the frozen section of a store, a “chicken tender” can also be made from ground or otherwise processed chicken meat mixed with a starchy binder and shaped then breaded, or chunks of breast meat also breaded. Yes it can be confusing.:? Hope this helps Ashley!:smiley:

Chicken Tenders This recipe is so simple that it is great any night of the week! Ingredients 1 lb Boneless chicken breasts cut into tenders Salt and pepper 1 8 oz Carton of plain yogurt or 2 eggs 2 cup Bread crumbs Olive oil or pan coating Preparation Season chicken with salt and pepper. Pour yogurt into shallow dish or plate, or beat 2 eggs. Pour bread crumbs into a seperate dish. Dredge chicken through yogurtor eggs, shake off excess, then coat with bread crumbs. Spray pan with cooking spray or olive oil. Add chicken cooking about two minutes per side.