I’ve been making a chili and have been hoping to just pour some of that over some noodles as a semi-spaghetti sauce. It definitely does not taste like general marinara. In it i basically just use ground beef, beans, and diced tomatoes. sometimes onions and garlic. And i toss in some chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt pepper and cumin if i have it. Marinara sauce seems to just be diced tomatoes, no? So what am I missing here? just basing off the looks of those canned spaghetti/marinara sauces in stores, it definitely looks/tastes different. My guesses are either i need to dump a whole lot of oil in there or i need to add different spices?
There is a bit more to it. Try this one.
* 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
* 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
* 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 6 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/3 cup finely diced onion
* 1/2 cup white wine
- In a food processor place Italian tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped parsley, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium heat saute the finely chopped onion in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the blended tomato sauce and white wine.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
There is a big differance in Chili sauce and Marinara sauce, one using more of the italian blend spices and the other hotter spices like chili powder and cayenne pepper. Cumin also adds more of a smokey flavor. If your looking for a Marinara Sauce use that, but you can always mix the chili sauce into some elbow macaroni for a chili mac, I use my leftover chili for this, my kids love it!