wondering why my crock pot potato soup turned out bad!

Hello, I just started trying to learn how to cook and experimenting w/ the crock pot. I am a college student and don’t have much time to figure things out! Last night I tried to make a potato soup in the crock pot but I was following directions from like 3 different recipes. One said to use milk and chicken broth, others said to use just chicken broth… I just though if I only used chicken broth how would it ever thicken?? Well, this is what I put in the crock pot and let sit over night:

I whisked in 1/4 cup of flour w/ 3 cups of milk. Then whisked in 3 cups of chicken broth. I put in 4 cans of diced potatoes, 1 can of diced carrots, and all of my spices. When I woke up this morning it smelled really good but looked all curdled! I don’t know if it was because of the milk or because of the flour or both, but can anybody tell me what I did wrong please? Tonight I put everything back in the crock pot except for the milk and the flour, and tomorrow I was going to add some corn starch w/ milk into it to see if I can thicken it up. Should I do this or something else?? I appreciate any suggestions!

Mallory [/SIZE][/SIZE]