Chili Recipes Needed for Chili Cookoff

I am looking for a tried and true chili recipe to enter in our office Chili-Off in October. I’m asking early so I have time to try some of the recipes and tweak one with my own touches. B-Man, I’m counting on you to supply a few. Thanks in advance.

Bet-K

Hi, My name is Mary Ann, and I thought you might like this hili recipe. I know my family just eats this up. Ha Ha. Well here it goes.

CROCK POT CHILI

1 medium green pepper. chopped
1 medium to large onion, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 pound Italian sausage, I use hot, but you can also use sweet
1 package McCormick Chili seasoning, origina or hot, I use entire package of original, and half package of the hot.
1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth, low sodium

Brown sausage, ground beef, onion and green pepper in large frying pan. When meat is no longer pink, put entire mixture into crockpot. Mix rest of ingredients together and add to crockpot with meat mixture. Cook on lw for 4 to 6 hours.

I hope you like this, and if you do I hope you win the cookoff. Good Luck

Mary Ann:

Thanks so much for the recipe. I’m really anxious to give it a try. I have only one recipe and it is not cookoff worthy. This is the second year of the cookoff and the first time a woman has entered. I want to make a good showing so hopefully more women will enter next year. It’s good fun and we get to eat good food. Everyone really enjoys it. Thanks again, and I’ll send you a post after the contest.

BetK

3 lbs boneless beef (preferably sirloin) (1.5 kg)
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pkg (35 g) taco seasoning mix
1 to 2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans
2 cups salsa
2-1/2 to 3 cups beef stock
8 rings MexiCasa Jalapeno Peppers, coarsely chopped
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup chopped coriander or parsley

Cut beef into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes; set aside.

In large saucepan, heat oil. Saute onions over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add beef and garlic, cooking until meat has browned (make sure garlic doesn’t brown or it will be bitter). Add seasoning mix, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste; combine well. Add beans, salsa, beef stock and jalapeno; simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is tender. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

Transfer to large oven-proof bowl; cover with Monterey Jack cheese. Melt under broiler. Garnish with coriander or parsley. Makes about 8 servings.

I haven’t tried this recipe. I found it on the internet several years ago.

Doc’s Secret Remedy won him $25,000.00 Chili Grand Prize
Dr. Edmond J. Pierczynski from Carson City, Nev.

3 lbs. cubed sirloin or London broil meat
4 Tbsp oil
6 oz. bulk pork sausage
1 can (14½ oz) beef broth, divided
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (6 oz) spicy tomato juice
1 can (12 oz) beer, divided

11 Tbsp chili powder (Yes, eleven)
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 Tbsp cumin
Salt to taste

Saute beef in oil. Fry sausage until done; drain well

In chili pot add: beef, sausage and half the beef broth (freeze other half for the next batch). Bring to a slow boil.

Add tomato sauce, spicy tomato juice, half the beer (drink the other half), 6 Tbsp chili powder, all the garlic and onion powders and 1 tsp. of hot pepper sauce.

Simmer slowly 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.

Add cumin and remaining 5 Tbsp chili powder and 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce.

Makes 6 to 8 servings for hungry interns.

1 tbsp Marg or butter
2 lbs ground steak or ground beef
1 med onion (Chopped)
1 clove garlic (Minced)
1 can stewed tomatoes (16oz)
1 can tomato soup (10-3/4 oz) undeluted
2 cans tomato sauce (8oz)
1 can red kidney beans (16oz Drained)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp Italian herb seasoning
2 tbsp brown super (optional)

Cook meat with onions & garlic, stir in remaining ingredients
untill well mixed, reduce heat, simmer for 45-60 min.

very good chili

Enjoy
Ky

Easy Chili
1 1/2 lb. ground beef 2 onions chopped 1/2 c. chopped green pepper 1 t. minced garlic 1 16 oz. can pinto beans 1 16 oz. can kidney beans 2 14 1/2 oz. cans stewed tomatoes 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes 1 12 oz. bottle beer or non alcholic beer 1 6 oz. can tomato paste 1/4 c. chili powder 3/4 t. oregano 1/2 t. hot sauce 1/4 t. sugar 1/4 t. salt 1/4 t. pepper
In a dutch oven cook beef, onions, green pepper, and garlic over med. heat until meat is done. Drain. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, let simmer at least 1/2 hr., the longer the better. Serves 15.

You might like to try this one, it is good on ribs as well as pulled pork.

Pat

BBQ SAUCE (Pat’s)

1 (28 oz.) can tomato purée
1/3 C. yellow mustard
3 Cups water
2 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 Cup dark corn syrup
1/8 Cup Molasses
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
3/4 teaspoon minced garlic

Whisk together tomato puree and mustard until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve this sauce warm.

Thanks to everyone for the recipes. I’m really anxious to start trying some of these. October is not far away so I need to select one soon and start perfecting it. We have trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. I would love to place in the top three and show the men that women too can make chili. The smack talk has already started among the entrants from last year. They have already started to name their chili recipes (i.e Run and Gun, Flabber"gas"ted, Easy Glider). Everyone gets into the act. We have a lot of fun during the cookoff, and leading up to it. I can’t wait.

Again, thanks and keep the recipes comin’.

BetK

Sorry Bet-K! I thought I was answering a BBQ sauce recipe and stuck it in the wrong place.

Pat

Pat:

No problem. I was glad to get the recipe for the BBQ Sauce too. Thanks and keep the recipes coming.

BetK

Hi Betty,

This is a great Chili recipe. It won a couple of office chili cook-offs. Best part about this dish is that an individual can spice it up to his or her liking by adding the accompaniments. Good luck!

Regards, Paula

BEST EVER CHILI

2 pounds of ground sirloin
1-1/2 cups of chopped celery
1-1/2 cups of chopped onion (I prefer sweet onion)
1-1/2 cups of green pepper
1 clove of garlic - minced
2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes (I prefer seasoned)
2 15 oz. cans of chili beans (I prefer Bush’s mild)
1 8 oz. can of tomato paste
1 can of Bush’s Chili Magic (not necessary, but I like the zest)
2 tablespoons of chili powder
Salt to taste (no more than a teaspoon - people can add salt

Accompaniments:

Shredded Cheddar Cheese and/or Shredded Mexican-mix Cheese
Sliced Jalapenos
Chopped Onion (I prefer sweet onion)
Green Chilies
Black Olives
Sour Cream
Oyster Crackers
Cooked Fine Noodles for 5-Way
Hot Pepper Sauce

In a large skillet, add meat, celery, onion and green pepper and cook over medium heat until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain-off grease. Transfer mixture to a large pot. Add the garlic, tomatoes, beans, chili powder, tomato paste, Chili Magic and salt (if desired). Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 1-3/4 hours (75 minutes). Serve with any or all of the above accompaniments, or add your own.

Paula

Hi pmuhlhan:

Paula thanks so much for the recipe. This is exactly what I need, a good base that I can modify and make my own. I’m getting excited about entering this contest. I just hope to place in the top three. I would find that very respectable for a first time entry. I’ll let you know how I do.

Betty

betty,

i’m really surprized that there aren’t more chili recipes posted in here. was hoping to find some great chili recipes myself.
i don’t have a recipe that i use to make chili.
everyone has a favourite chili recipe…come on everyone…post away. let’s help betty win her competition.

good luck,

rick

Chocolate Chili Con Carne
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Yield: 10 to 12 servings

3 pounds beef chuck
Freshly ground black pepper
Gray salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon ground cumin, plus 2 teaspoons
2 tablespoons chili powder, plus 2 tablespoons
Masa harina (Mexican corn flour)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lard (Manteca)
4 red onions, peeled and minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
4 jalapeno peppers, sliced thin with seeds, stems removed
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 to 3 (12-ounce) bottles beer
1 (12-ounce) can diced tomato in juices
1 quart chicken stock
3 (12-ounce) cans black beans
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into large chunks

Cut the chuck into ¾-inch pieces, or, to save time, have your butcher do this for you. Place the chuck in a large bowl. Season liberally with pepper (about 20 turns of the pepper grinder) and grey salt to taste– remember half of this will come off in the pan. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of the cumin, and 2 tablespoons of the chili powder. Mix this well and coat the meat with the masa harina (this is a ground hominy flour common to Mexican cuisine and easily found in the Mexican food sections of many grocery stores). The flour will thicken the sauce and give it a specific, Mexican taste.
Preheat a cast iron Dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and then the coated meat, spreading it evenly so it covers the bottom of the Dutch oven in 1 layer. Leave it alone, without turning it, so the meat will brown and caramelize. Meanwhile, add the lard. The meat has a lot of moisture in it, so a good amount of steam will come from the pan before it is caramelized. As it browns, slowly turn each piece with tongs. Once all sides are caramelized, remove the meat from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a cookie sheet to cool, leaving juices in the Dutch oven to saute vegetables. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat until they start to caramelize and get soft. Add the jalapenos and allow to cook for 2 more minutes until soft. Add the tomato paste. Some of the same spices as were used on the meat will be used in the sauce. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of the cumin, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, the oregano, and 2 heaping tablespoons of the chili powder. Add beer. Stir to incorporate everything. Add diced tomatoes, and stir. Then add the reserved meat. Add chicken stock. Simmer for 1-1/2 hours until meat is wonderfully tender. Strain juice from the black beans, add the beans to the chili pot and bring up to simmer. Then add chunks of bittersweet chocolate. Stir until it melts. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.

Beef Rib Chili
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

6 pounds beef ribs, see Cook’s Note*
1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Chili Powder, recipe follows
2 medium onions, diced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 cup tequila
2 cans whole tomatoes, crushed (28 ounces)
2 bay leaves
5-1/2 cups Black Beans, recipe follows
Chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
Cornbread, recipe follows

Special equipment: a Dutch oven or a large 12-quart pot with tight-fitting lid

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Season the ribs with salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of Chili Powder. Place the ribs on a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes. Turn the ribs over and continue to roast for another 20 minutes.

Heat a large 12-quart pot over medium heat. Cook the onions in vegetable oil for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste, cumin, coriander, oregano, remaining Chili Powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the tequila, and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring mixture to a boil and add oven roasted ribs. Cover pot and reduce heat, simmering for 2 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone.

Remove pot from the heat and pull meat away from the bones, discarding the bones. Add cooked black beans and heat through. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.

To serve, garnish with the cilantro and parsley. Serve with Cornbread.

*Cook’s Note: Ask your butcher to remove the silver skin, the thin connective tissue that appears on the superficial layers of red meat.

Chili Powder:
5 ancho chiles, dried
1 chipotle chile, dried
1 habanero chile, dried
2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Special equipment: a food processor

Remove the stems from the dried chiles. Roughly chop dried chiles. In batches, place chiles, their seeds, cumin, oregano, paprika and cinnamon, into the food processor. Grind together until it resembles a rough powder. This will take several minutes.
Chili Powder can be stored for up to 2 months.
Yield: 1/2 cup

Black Beans:
4 cups dried black beans

Place black beans in a large pot and cover with twice as much cold water. Cook over medium-high heat for 1 hour or until beans are soft. Strain and set aside.
Yield: 5-1/2 cups

Cornbread:
1 cup corn kernels, preferably fresh when available, see Cook’s Note*
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 egg
2 tablespoons seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the corn on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Cool completely, about 20 minutes.

Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the buttermilk, butter, and egg. Combine the jalapeno and cooled corn with the dry ingredients until evenly distributed. Fold the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients until just incorporated (see Cook’s Note**). Pour the batter into a well seasoned 9-inch cast iron frying pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.

*Cook’s Note: Frozen corn should be thawed completely and strained if substituted.
**Cook’s Note: If the batter is overmixed, the cornbread will be heavy and dense.

rhodry69:

Thanks for encouraging everyone to help out. I really appreciate the assistance. As it’s already the end of August, October and the cook-off will be here before you know it. The office is buzzing with smack talk about who will be this year’s winner. As for me, I have decided to let my recipe do the talking for me. My theory is, I can’t miss since I have such wonderful help from my friends here at Recipe Secrets.

Rick, thanks again. And eveyone, keep those recipes coming, we have a cook-off to win.

Betty

DessertGuy:

Thanks for the posts. I appreciate you stepping up to help a girl out. These recipes look very promising, and the cornbread (YUM) is just an added bonus.

I can’t wait for the weekend so I can start testing recipes.

Keep 'um coming.

Betty

Here is one I make every winter. Good luck in the cookoff!

Chili Con Carne

2 medium onions, chopped 2 t cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
1½ lbs. ground chuck 2 - 1 lb. cans red kidney beans, drained
1½ T chili powder 1 lb. can of stewed tomatoes
1 t salt 1 c water or beef stock
½ t pepper 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 t oregano 1 T unsweetened cocoa
1 clove garlic, crushed Few dashes of pepper sauce
1 t dried Cilantro 1 can chopped green chili
4 crushed sun dried tomatoes 1 crushed dried poblano chili
Daisy brand sour cream
Cabots sharp cheddar cheese

Sauté onions and garlic with beef until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef as it cooks. Drain off as much fat as possible. Add dry ingredients to meat mixture. Stir until thoroughly blended. Add liquid ingredients, stir until blended. Simmer one hour. Serve with sour cream and grated sharp cheddar cheese.

MaryAnn123,

Thanks for the post and the good wishes. Your recipe looks wonderful. I’m anxious to try it.

Rick,

It’s one of the first sites that I found. You’re right it does have a lot of recipes. I’ve read through most of them trying to figure out what they all have in common and what makes each recipe unique. Who knew chili was so complicated. But I am having fun do the research and testing recipes. I think my family is already tired of eating chili. They’ve stop asking “what’s for dinner?”

Thanks again for all the help.

Betty