Chili Recipes Needed for Chili Cookoff

betk,

i forwarded your chili recipe to a good friend of mine and she let me know that she made it and that it was soo goood. she made more and froze it. lol

rho

rho

Glad to hear that people are enjoying it. It truly was a labor of love. Love of food that is.

Thanks for letting me know.

BetK

you’re more than welcome

rho

looking for a great chili receipe to wow the group. this is it. thanks

This is my aunt’s recipe that I’ve jazzed up over the years:

2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large green pepper diced
1 large onion diced
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 large cans diced tomatoes
2 large cans red kidney beans
2 cans tomato soup
1 tblsp paprika
2 tblsp chili powder
2 bay leaves
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp pepper
Salt to taste

What I’ve added:

6 - 8 cloves of garlic chopped (because my hubby and I both love garlic)
1 jalapeno pepper (seeds and veins removed but if you want it really hot, just leave them in). :slight_smile:

Brown beef in a large pot, add onion, pepper and garlic and fry until tender. Add tomatoes, soup and kidney beans and heat through. Add all the spices and let cook for a couple of hours until all the vegetables are tender. If chili begins to get too thick, add a bit of water to thin out to allow chili to cook for a long time and to get flavours to melt together.

BTW, Pat, I’m glad to made a mistake and added your barbeque sauce into this forum - it looks good and I’m going to give it a try. :slight_smile:

Deb :smiley:

I know this post was started awhile ago, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading how everyone PULLED together to help Betty! What a GREAT forum!!
Congrats Betty on getting into the top 3! You have inspired me to join the next chili cookoff the American Legion has! If I need a recipe to WOW someone I know where to look 1st…right HERE!! What a really neat group of ppl…I’m glad I joined!

P.S. I’m going to try your recipe next time I make chili…it sounds good. But, SPEGGETTI??? In CHILI??? Well, to each their own, LOL!!! :grin:

serious? where is the heat?

Spaghetti is traditional with “Cincinnati Chili” which really IS unique to that area. It is heavy on cinnamon and often has a bit of chocolate (not at all sweet, like you may be thinking). It is very thick and is served up to Five Way. One Way is plain (but it is really never served that way); Two Way is over Spaghetti; Three Way is with cheese on top; Four Way adds Onions on top; and Five Way adds beans (I think I got the five ways right??). Love that stuff! Oddly, you put raw hamburger into boiling water and seasonings - you don’t brown it first.

Well, I would be willing to try speg. in chili…but I don’t dare make it that way at home! I’m ALWAYS willing to try something once…never know until you try!! :wink:

I don’t see that spaghetti with chili is so strange. Chili mac has been around as long as I can remember.

Well DANG! You are right!!! I guess it’s just something I have never experianced in homemade chili.

mmmmmmmm thankx guyz