Durty Nelly's Cheddar Green Onion Biscuits

Today’s Secret Recipe comes from Durty Nelly’s Irish pub in Halifax, Canada. This stylish, traditional pub was built in Ireland then shipped to and assembled in Canada. In addition to all the classic Irish dishes on the menu they also serve delicious Cheddar green onion biscuits. These biscuits are easy to recreate at home.

Enjoy!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I was losing my memory, focus – and my mind!
And then… I got it all back again.

Discover How: Here
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
New Secret Recipe
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Durty Nelly’s Cheddar Green Onion Biscuits
Like this recipe? Get our Restaurant Secret Recipes Cookbook – Go Here

45 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits

• 3 1/2 cups (15 ounces) flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Salt
  • 1 cup softened margarine
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onion, green parts only
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
  1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt together. Add the margarine and mix together by hand until mixture is slightly dry and crumbly, and the margarine is reduced to pea-sized crumbs. Mix in the cheddar cheese and green onions. Add the buttermilk and knead. Turn the mixture out onto a floured cutting board or work surface and knead a few more times. Roll the dough to about an inch thick and form into a rectangle. Cut into 12 equal squares. Place on lined baking sheet, slightly spaced apart.

3. Bake until the top appears golden brown, cracked and firm, 10 to 12 minutes.

Source: LA Times
Have a comment or question about this recipe? Post it here

Source: LA Times

Get more secret restaurant recipes on our Secret Recipe Forum: Go Here

Until Next Time… Be Well!

Kind Regards,

RSN

I made these last night to go with my fried chicken and they are very tasty indeed. Thanks for the recipe.

You can make really light biscuits from any recipe by using half cake flour and half all purpose flour, mixed well. This reduces the gluten and makes a more tender, lighter biscuit.

Another way to make lighter biscuits is to replace some of the all-purpose flour with cornstarch. For each cup of flour required, substitute 14 Tbsp all-purpose flour and 2 Tbsp cornstarch, mixed well.

Here is the simplest biscuit recipe I’ve seen. The heavy cream supplies the moisture and the fat to the recipe.

Two-Ingredient Southern Cream Biscuits

from Nathalie Dupree and Cynthia Graubart

2 cups White Lily Self-Rising Flour (or other Self-Rising Flour that uses soft Southern wheat)
1 cup whipping cream (unsweetened) - also known as heavy cream

Mix until just moistened, don’t over mix.

Turn onto counter and pat into a 1/2 inch high rectangle. Fold dough in half, on top of itself and pat again into a 1/2 inch high rectangle.

Cut out with 2 1/4 inch biscuit cutter. Stack scraps and press into another 1/2 inch high rectangle. Cut out until dough is gone.

Bake for about 12-minutes at a 475° oven: bake for 6 minutes, rotate the pan, then check back after an additional 4 minutes or so to check if they’re golden brown on top. Brush with melted butter and serve warm.