kfc original recipe fried chicken

Growing up in the South, every family has their own recipe for fried chicken. I learned it’s the prep & cooking technique that makes the difference. A good fried chicken is made with skin & bone in! Chicken cooked in a skillet has a different taste & texture than deep fried. The KFC herb blend works fine or use your own blend. This recipe makes a crispy crust. For a large cut-up fryer or equlivent parts these are tips I learned over the years:

Brine – Two days ahead in a bowl add ¼ c. salt, bay leaf, sprig of fresh thyme, few sage leaves & cover with very warm water. Mash herbs & stir until salt dissolves. Cool. Dump chicken into large baggie, add brine mixture & enough water to cover. Mix until ckn. pieces all coated & covered. Close & refrigerate overnight. (This step is optional but really flavors the meat & adds moisture.)

Soak – Next day drain & wash brine off chicken & dump into a large clean baggie. Mix 2 cloves of mashed garlic or 1 t. garlic powder along with enough buttermilk (any type) to cover. Close & refrigerate overnight.

Cooking – In a bowl mix together 2 eggs & 2 c. buttermilk, ¾ t. Kitchen Bouquet. In another bowl or baggie mix/shake together herb blend of choice, pepper & 3+ cups of flour. (You may need more flour depending on sizes of chicken pieces.) For extra extra crispy crust use self-rising flour! Rinse & drain chicken. Pat dry. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with the herb mix. Set aside.

Fry – Use a good quality oil that will take high temp such as canola or veg oil blend. (No olive oil.) Use an iron skillet deep enough to hold about 1-2 to ¾” of oil. Pour oil in skillet & heat oil on high until a wooden spoon handle dipped into oil bubbles OR a sprinkling of flour sizzles in the oil. While oil heats, dip chicken pieces in egg mixture then flour. Shake off excess flour. Start with dark meat first, then white meat, & drop piece by piece SLOWLY into the hot oil. Brown chicken to a medium-lite brown on both sides. Turn heat down & cover skillet w/lid & cook chicken for a few minutes until almost done. Remove cover, turn up heat & brown again until crust is crisp & a medium-dark Mahoney color. Remove w/tongs to a brown paper bag sitting on a cookie sheet to drain. Pinch off a little piece of crust & taste for salt/pepper if needed. Season while chicken is hot from the skillet. To keep warm set chicken in low oven while finishing. You will probably have to cook in a couple of batches. Make sure when you add each batch the oil is reheated to high enough temp or the chicken w/be greasy.

Cream Gravy – When finished frying set skillet aside a few minutes to cool. Strain grease into storage container reserving “browned bits”. Pour some of the chicken grease back into the skillet. Turn skillet on medium & heat fat, sprinkle in equal amount of flour, stir until roux is mixed well & stir often until the roux starts to brown to a medium-dark blonde color. Slowly stir in 2 c. water or chicken stock mix well so not lumpy. Let cook down a few minutes then add ½ c. whole milk. Sprinkle in some of the brown bits from earlier. Cook until preferred thickness. Taste for salt & add lots of cracked pepper. For brown gravy cook roux a few moments longer, increase water/stock to 3 cups & delete milk.

Closing comments: Cooking times vary with stove, portion sizes, etc. If in doubt poke largest piece w/a thermometer before removing from skillet.

Elvis said it best: Ummm, pass me those mashed ‘taters potatoes & gravy. :smiley:

I don’t think I’m the only one, but I think all the hype about the “Top Secret” recipe and all the security and such is just an advertising campaign, and the media has been sucked in. The “Original Recipe” has changed. In Canada, it no longer tastes the same. Its good, but different. kinda like what happened with Coke. after the “Extra Crispy” debacle, they went back to the “Original” which tasted different. It is more salty, and the gravy is definitely different. I long for the good ol’ days.

When they changed the grease the flavor changed and I don’t like it like I use to. What I make at home is better then KFC is now. I wish they would convert back to the grease that they were using.

I have just sent for the book, and look forward to trying the recipes. I too agree that the taste is no longer the same at KFC. Is there a recipe for their gravy as well? Love that gravy!!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Kitchen Witch… Will make some up today for my tato’s.

aaahhh… the oil. Tallow versus Veggie oil. that would change the taste also. Ditto on the fries. McD’s was the best, now just “Good”.

I want to have book about cooking recipe…:wink:

Organic Foods

KFC fried chicken has a different taste in each restaurant for sure. In the KFC,s where I live each has a differenr flavor.In Bangkok it is also unique, also in Cebu, Phlilippines,which is the tastiest. Probably the management is varying slightly from the recipe.

Are you sure you were not eating KFdog over there? :wink:

There is no need to be rude.

Thank you so much for the KFC Gravy recipe. I’ve been trying to get that right for years!

where and how do you post a recipe ?

John